PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible????????

DURA-MAX3
03-26-2003, 18:23
Ok here goes my credability(if i had any on here) but i have ran 4 tanks of diesel through my truck since installing the caterpillar 2-micron pre- filter. I am getting 1.5 mpg more than i was before, and that is the average between all four tanks. I also noticed that pulling my 24' enclosed car hauler that places it would shift to 4th it now pulls in 5th. Could this be the fact that the fuel is cleaner and getting a better spray from the injector or did i bump my head while installing the pre filter. Just wondering if this has happened to any one else after installing a second filter????

dmaxalliTech
03-26-2003, 19:16
I have heard many say that cleaner fuel will burn more efficiently. Getting rid of the impurities in the fuel will help. I think many have expierenced/expect better mileage with better filtration.

56Nomad
03-26-2003, 19:23
DURA-MAX3,

I have very limited anecdotal results to report. Unloaded, I had a gain of about
1.5+ MPG and pulling my loaded down 22

GM Smitty
03-26-2003, 19:46
Well, I've been getting a few more miles out of a tank of fuel since installing my Racor 600 series (pre-oem - 2 micron) about 2000 miles ago. I'm not convinced it's the filter yet, but I will keep a close eye on MPG once work starts picking up and I'm driving more miles every week. My truck has been lousy in terms of fuel mileage since day 1, so any increase is great. Somehow (probably totally psychological), it does seem to have a bit more pep than before. I recently aquired a G-Tech, I wish I had it before I installed the filter to see if there is actually a difference.
Josh

Joe Pool
03-26-2003, 22:50
GM Smitty (Josh),

Checked out your pictures. Good choices on your accessories: System One Rack, WeatherGuard Boxes and Fisher V plow -- Same choices I have on my Ram. How does the Chevy handle the weight of the V plow?

Joe :cool:

GM Smitty
03-27-2003, 20:23
Joe - Thanks! I have Timbrens installed up front, to eliminate the nosedive effect. They do a great job and I can't feel them when the plow isn't on. Front axle is rated at 4800#, with my plow on, I'm at 5200#. Not too worried about it, the plow is rarely on (maybe 30 hours this year). It was on a Dodge 2500 V-10 before, and I have to admit it, the Dodge handled it much better. But that's the only thing that truck did better than my D-max. ;)
Josh

chagburg
04-02-2003, 14:47
Where do you get this prefilter and where do you
install it? How difficult is it to install?

sdaver
04-02-2003, 15:20
NOT TO BE NEGATIVE, COULD IT BE RESTRICTING THE FLOW SOMEWHAT CAUSING YOU TO USE LESS?.........DOES PREFORMANCE SEEM THE SAME? :D DAVE.........OR MAYBE THE END OF WINTER FUEL MIX

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

56Nomad
04-02-2003, 15:41
chagburg,

It might be best if you read this string with over
70 messages which might answer your
questions. This is still a hot topic for some of
us who are experimenting with filters. See:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005456&p=

DURA-MAX3
04-02-2003, 22:30
There is no restriction in the fuel flow at all. If there were the truck would be running worse rather than better. Starving an engine for fuel will not save fuel. I just pulled my trailer again today and it continues to stay in 5th gear on hills that it has always downshifted to 4th on. And the mileage is still 1.5 mpg better. I'm happy...