PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure too low ??

Aggie '91
07-13-2003, 22:10
I just picked up a 2003 DMax & over the weekend I was watching the guages to try & determine wher it "likes to run". One thing I noticed is that the oil pressure runs around 60psi @ 1700 - 2000 rpm, however @ idle (600 +/- rpm's), the oil pressure only shows 1 or 2 hash marks above the "red zone" (about 20 - 25psi).

This seems like a pretty extreme range. From other posts on the forum, I was prepared for the higher pressues running at speed, but it sure seems like the pressure drops too much at idle.

(This is with the engine @ operating tem & correct oil levels from GM (150 miles on the truck).

Is this normal for this engine?? Or is it something I need to be concerned with? :confused:

Thanx,
PDS

Burner
07-13-2003, 22:22
I'm on my 2nd DMax and they both read such as yours. I don't think that you have a problem. :D

Burner------> :D

Aggie '91
07-14-2003, 06:15
That's Great . . . I had hoped it was OK, but confirmation is always nice! Thanks Burner!

PDS

docl
07-14-2003, 09:45
The '01 ran 60psi oil pressure idling & warm
The '02 ran 40psi oil pressure idling & warm
The '03 runs like yours a couple of marks above the red idling and warm. I haven't changed the oil as it only has 400 miles on it. Do you know if GM uses a lighter weight oil in these trucks for the initial break-in? An aside the '01 no steering rattle, the '02 had a steering rattle which my dealer in Amarillo couldn't fix and the '03 NO steering rattle.

Aggie '91
07-15-2003, 10:05
Thanx docl, That is good info to have! At least I know that I wont have to worry too much! And, now that I think I have my A/C fixed, it's starting to be a coool ride :D

Thanks again
PDS

Diesel Dragon
07-15-2003, 15:40
Hi Aggie,

My truck runs about 90 psi cold in the mornings
Then warms up to 60 psi at cruising speeds
And idles at 30 psi mark when warmed up

I wouldnt worry too much what the numbers are as long as they are consistent. Remember not every factory guage and sending unit is exatly the same or perfect.

If you see a real low idle pressure then you would have cause for concern.

And GM is one of the few builders that uses numbers on the guages instead of a Low to High lettered guage.

So just accept what you have as normal for your truck and take it from there

I have noticed that GM changed the range of the oil pressure guages in the 01 to 03 trucks.
I believe the 01's have a 0 tp 90 psi guage which usually meant pegging the needle on cold starts. And the 03's have 0 to 120 psi guage which makes it look like there isn't as much of a needle swing when you start cold.

And congrats on the new truck.

Bye Diesel Dragon :cool: