PDA

View Full Version : new engine, no start

gill
06-19-2005, 10:55
I need some advice. I have just replaced my 6.2 L with a crate long block. It has a new injection pump, injectors, glow plugs, fuel lift pump, and filter. I am unable to get it to start or even fire. I have loosened all the fuel lines at the injectors and get a bit of fuel, but no fuel in the return line. I can easily pull fuel from the tank to the pump, but do not get much fuel to the filter. I have primed the system, (I think),still nothing. The glow plugs are getting hot, with 12 volts to each plug. The selenoid easily open when the key is turned on. Do I have a massive air lock, or is the fuel line leaking somewhere? Thanks in advance for your help.

5.7L oldsdiesel
06-19-2005, 11:03
I'd use an electric fuel pump and get fuel to the filter and injection pump rather fast.In my opinion,i'm not a big fan of mechanical lift pumps.If you use an electric fuel pump,your sure to get fuel where its needed quickly.Are you sure your electric shutoff solenoid on the injection pump is working properly?12V present?

DmaxMaverick
06-19-2005, 17:18
Welcome to TDP, gill!

Sounds like air lock. Being all new everything, it can take quite a while for the fuel to reach everything. Even though you are getting fuel to the injectors, too much air in the lines and pump will prevent the injectors from popping. If the electric pump is not an option, you can pressurize the fuel tank with LOW (<10 PSI) pressure shop air. An old fuel cap fitted with a valve stem works well.

Careful not to crank too long. Starters ain't cheap. Keep the batteries up, and let the starter cool at least 2 minutes between 15 second cranks.