PDA

View Full Version : Updating onboard computer

BigO
03-26-2003, 23:51
I understand that this has been beat to death. I have a 2001 with 14,000 miles on it. It needs some warrany stuff done. I want upgrades done while it is there.(TCM etc.) How do I find out what is the latest and greatest upgrades. Dealer won't do them unless I have a problem with it. Cruise control I know about. What else?

Thanks

Kennedy
03-27-2003, 09:11
Is your air filter housing still snorkeled into the fender? If so, this can make things much easier...

chipper
03-27-2003, 09:25
John,
Would you please explain what you are getting at here, I don't understand? It sounds like something we should all know.
Thanks

GMC D-Max
03-27-2003, 11:07
Chipper-
What he means is, look between the airbox and the fender. Do you see a rubber boot, or snorkle, connecting the two? If so, remove it for better airflow, and less water getting into the airbox. GM made this mod themselves on the '02's. Another cheap (as in free) and relatively easy way to get better breathing is to swiss-cheese the bottom half of the airbox, especially on the front side (behind the headlight). Also, drill drain holes in each pocket in the honeycombed interior to drain any water that might possibly get in.

BigO-
Here's a link (cut and paste) to GM tech online. Enter your VIN# and see what updates have been released for your vehicle. Have the dealer compare them to what's in your truck, and add the ones that aren't present.

http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

Here's another link to tech information, including known problems and fixes, plus actual TSB's (technical service bulletins).

http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/

Kennedy
03-27-2003, 12:45
If it has the early box, you can get the dealer to do the upgrade and associated program changes much easier. You may have to set some codes or suck in the filter minder though depending on the dealer...

BigO
03-28-2003, 08:23
Just got truck back from dealer. They refused to do the upgrade for the shifting situation when cruise is engaged.

Kennedy:

I have the aluminum foil over the snorkle hole. The air filter keeps sucking it in. Dealer just put a new piece of foil on. Any other solutions?

GMC D-Max

Thanks for the web site. I will do as you said. I knew there was one but never wrote it down when I saw it before.

Thanks to everyone.

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: BigO ]

Went to the web site and did as it said. Just to verify I assume that those that have bulletin numbers by them are the ones that need to be updated. What about CVN. What is that and I have allot of those that have CVN numbers in them. Do those need to be updated?

Thanks

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: BigO ]</p>