PDA

View Full Version : more power

mechanicwillie
03-28-2003, 19:54
i thought i would rely some things i heard when i was in durmax and allison trianing.
the allison trans is a very heavy built trans they know they have some problems with the front seal leaking and n.s.b.u switch on the trans.otherwise no major problems with this trans.i was told that allison is working to beef up this trans for the bigger duramax.

the engine is very durable it does not stand up with power chips.they have had three engines blow up due to modifieds.
they are talking about more power in 2004 and they are talking about a super charged duramax capable of putting out 400 to 600 horsepower.

i was also told that ford and dodge cannot have the allison for there trucks.

mackin
03-28-2003, 20:32
Long time Willie...

If I may ask how did you know they were chipped ?? What failed,something consistant in the engines??

Ford won't need the Allison...The only brite note in the resease of the 6.0 has been the Torqshift...

Dodge well that's anouther story...

MAC smile.gif

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

imported_
03-28-2003, 21:13
mechanicwillie said

"it does not stand up with power chips.they have had three engines blow up due to modifieds"

This scared me a little, at first. As a new hot juice (as of today! :D !) I don't "want" to hear this kind of news. And then I thought, "Three engines in three years production, those aren't bad odds" But I would like to know the root cause of the problem. I think this "dirty fuel" theory might have more merit then some think.

The 2 micron filter is on it's way!

RWHP
03-28-2003, 21:43
Sorry but who ever trained you is either talking out of his *** or you are trolling for posts.

The Dmax has more than proven itself with mods on it. There are guys out there modding the crap out of them and I have yet to hear of one failing due to too much power.

A supercharged motor? Sorry, blowers are cool but no one in their right mind would ever put one on a diesel again. Not to mention that turbo's generate considerably more power, are way more efficient doing it, and are much more reliable while doing it.

bearman
03-28-2003, 22:26
RWHP
You might want to listen to Willie, he is definatly not trolling, he has been my Dmax mechanic for 2 years and through 2 trucks. Before you get on someones back I suggest you do a search on his user name and mine if you want and see the grief I had with my 1st Dmax and Willie saw me through it and was the only thing that got me back into a GM product. He is the only real diesel mechanic I have seen at GM dealerships
Bear

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: bearman ]

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: bearman ]</p>

mtomac
03-28-2003, 22:32
A turbo is way more efficient that a supercharger. It takes power to turn the belt and spin the supercharger, where spinning a turbo takes no power from the motor. Why take a step back in diesel technology?

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

ChevysRus
03-29-2003, 00:14
400-600 HP should spin anything you want to put on it with little loss of power, sounds like we will get rid of that chokepoint downpipe and let the monster breathe!

stretch
03-29-2003, 05:05
Not sure but wasn't there a Detroit Diesel that was both turbo-charged and super-charged at the same time ? I assume with a super-charger you have instant power vs. tubo lag.

hoot
03-29-2003, 07:12
Bearman,

Reading his post for a third time, it seems he could have used a grammer class.

This statement is confusing and incomplete....

"the engine is very durable it does not stand up with power chips."

He goes on to say they are upping the power. Now I guess 2004 engines will not hold up?

"he has been my Dmax mechanic for 2 years and through 2 trucks."

Diesel mechanic for two years? I don't feel that makes him anything near an expert. I know, you didn't say he was but I'm just pointing out that it takes a lot more than two years to be judging durability and the effects of PROPERLY applied mods.

Maybe him learning to be a diesel mechanic on your truck aggrivated your situation. Nothing personal against either of you.

We all had conversations on the effects of power mods and I think we all agree. Most anything you do that increases the power will have an effect on durability. The more you do and the harder you run any engine, the shorter lifespan it will have. You can probably find 10 Cummins or Powerstrokes that have bit the dust due to mods and hard running for every modded Dmax.

In other words, mechanicwillie told us nothing we all didn't already know.

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Oongawah
03-29-2003, 12:46
Dang Nab you guys are brutal. Thanks for cutting off our inside ears. I don't care if he started yesterday if he has what it takes. I think what bear meant was he has been taking care of his personal trucks for two years, not been fixin' em for two. Who said this supercharged engine was going to be a diesel? Panasonic has a phone named Duramax. It's just a name. I am impressed however that only three engines failed out of several thousand hopups sold. I remember a day not long ago when we tried to get our stock engines to stand up to abuse.

RWHP, when I send my techs(electronic) to factory schools, they get all the national suggestions and political hype too. It's to be expected. Don't blame the messenger. He cares enough to share, and that's enough for me. Peace.

NWDmax
03-29-2003, 13:08
Hey Hoot you mis spelled aggravated. tongue.gif

pinehill
03-29-2003, 13:16
You are more than welcome here, mechanicwillie, even though some of us get our jockeys in a bundle sometimes.

hoot
03-29-2003, 21:55
I guess you all missed this one.

"Nothing personal against either of you."

cmtndmax
03-29-2003, 22:25
stretch we have a pumper/tanker at our fire dept. that has a supercharger & turbo. I think it is because they are 2 stroke engines. I've seen EMD engines with both or they have a gear drive on the turbo that disengages after rpm reaches certain level.

bearman
03-30-2003, 00:31
mechanicwillie has been a diesel mechanic with GM for 20 years, that may not mean much to some, but I have seen him in that shop with every diesel (GM and other brands) tore down to the fine hairs, many dmax engines to, including my 1st truck. Other GM dealerships and there socalled diesel mechanics could not find the problems with in but Willie could. I put 70,000 miles a year on my truck, and not just running around on the highway and towing a little here and there, I work in the oil patch, rough, muddy,whatever kind of terrain you can thow out, I run in it, and for the last 20 years. My mechanic has to be good/great or I find another, Willie is the best I have seen to date.
Cheers
Bear

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: bearman ]</p>

oyazi
03-30-2003, 01:14
Oongawah sentiments exactly. Isn't Willie one of the founding fathers?
Big Blue ~ not certain re the dirty fuel problem that everyone is filtering for/buying into. My '84 diesel wabbit has had 3 filter replacements in its entire life. I've drained the filter(s) 3 times in 20 yrs(tuff to get at). Yet no injector problem. Whats so unique about the dmax injectors? Well, not to start a bruhahah, but perhaps the injector technology hasn't kept pace w/the deliver/form (bosche). While we sasha around to add filters, I can't help but question the composition/makeup of the injectors that are failing. I believe one of our own immenent authority has commented about the cratering effect of the nozzles caused by the high pressure technology of the bosch delivery system. Still what do I know? I'm just one of you.
But we have hope that what with other major manufacturers adopting the bosche system will relook at the injectors and hopefully come up w/something w/better longevity.

ChevysRus
03-30-2003, 01:18
Willie is a cool guy and has posted here before some very valuable info and it is appreciated by most of us. Willie was probably working on Diesels while some of us was (were) in school (high or college) learnin our grammar. Personally, I would rather hear the news good or bad from a hard working, hands on mechanic like Willie than from some Corporate MBA type with the polished Powerpoint slick presentation.

Besides he's probably a lot better with a wrench than with a keyboard or maybe his fingers are sore from wrenchin.

Regardless, Willie you Da Man! as far as I am concerned and you have more hands on experience with the DMAX than anyone here and probably at most GM dealerships!!!

If you doubt it you should look up his past postings.

I realize some of you don't know Willie, but he was one of the first to describe the "Tick" back when it was a big issue and no one knew what it was or if it was eating out engines alive.

Hope we didn't scare Willie away, he has a wealth of knowledge, but I couldn't blame him if he said f&%^$ those guys!

Have a nice day ya'll

hoot
03-30-2003, 05:25
Bearman,

Big difference between 2 years and 20.

IndigoDually
03-30-2003, 05:46
oyazi, the fuel and filtering issue stems from the the injection pressures. I would guess that the D-Max runs significantly higher injection pressures that your "wabbit"

John