PDA

View Full Version : Is the glass half empty?

Alli-max
07-16-2003, 00:22
I just scrolled down and lurked on a few threads, and it seams there are a lot of negative posts. Of Course I have had my problems, but I would certainly like to hear some reports on some good trucks out there. None of you 03 guys with 10K on your rig, but somebody with some real miles. Here I am with almost 120K and wondering if I will make it another day on 7 injectors. Any other problems other than head gaskets and injectors out there?

hoot
07-16-2003, 05:45
Alli I only have 56,000 on mine. I've had it over two years.

So far only the early anal scares that pretty much were just that.

Engine, tranny, and the rest of the drivetrain has been awesome.

Got the bigger driveshaft and one reflash.

Air bag light acted up a year ago. They fixed it.
Drivers power window express went. Fixed.

I'm hoping the extra filtration and continuous additive use will extend my injector life.

The (I'm gonna call it) radio.... is a POS first class. $39,000 and a POS radio.

[ 07-16-2003, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: hoot ]

sonofagun
07-16-2003, 08:15
Alli,

I agree that the crowd has gotten a bit testy lately. It seems to me that there is a lot more to like but few spend much time in the compliment department.

I just sold my '01 2500. It had a tad over 60,000 miles on it. I had the torpedo (single drive shaft) installed, replaced the shocks (junk) with bilsteins, had a few updates, added some JK stuff (exhaust, headlight harness, juice, SPA guage) and didn't have one warranty problem. I pulled 13000#s to Utah from San Antonio once or twice a year and drove at 70 mph most of the time. The balance of my driving was to work, around town and the Home Depot store for too da## much yard and house stuff.

I have a good service manager (his service writers suck) and he does a good once over for me when I go in for a checkup.

I just hope I'm as fortunate when my '04 3500 gets here.

Bob

hoot
07-16-2003, 10:54
son of a gun,

What did you get for the 01? You can email me if you like.

gardnerteam
07-16-2003, 11:28
Alli - I wholeheartedly agree. I have approximately 50,000 or slightly less miles on my truck and it has been run hard and fast, both on road and off road, over rough potholed roads where you can bury VW's in the potholes, and through mud and water up to the doorsill. It never has been to the dealer for a engine or tranny problem, nor anything else other than problems caused by Les Scwhab (tossed left rear wheel in Mexico because they did not torque wheels with new Weld Wheels - $5,000 US in damage to left rear wheel, brake, and axel). Been driven in temps from -35 (Montana) to 120 (Arizona)without a hitch. Most troublefree pickup I have ever had (and I have had a lot). Only problems have been need for more ground clearance, fast tire wear, slightly less than satisfactory mpg (weight plus drivers 2 ton foot), and some aftermarket accessories that have performed poorly (ARP canopy for one). Lots of accessories, but no power enhancements. Have a Mega filter and I am scared sh--less to put it on, because of all the problems developed on this site. For me, it may be better to just replace all injectors on a routine basis (100,000 mi or first sign of problem) rather than be hassled with something that requires constant inspection or fiddling. Hell, I drive the damn thing and do not spend any time screwing with it. I've done that with every other truck and it always cost me money and time. The D/A, while not perfect, has been super dependable AS IS. Hope it remains that way.

Bobcat698
07-16-2003, 13:45
Hey Alli-Max, if you want to get cheered up go to this link & start reading.
It will make you feel better about your DMAX almost instantly!
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=2003Drivetrain

Garrett

sonofagun
07-17-2003, 12:26
Hoot,

I got $32,000 and my buyer decided to take the fuel tank, juice and guage after he drove the truck. I was going to take them off, he paid 75% of retail and I'll just buy new parts. That's easier than taking it all off and reinstalling. Think I got a good price. Dealer offered me a whopping $26,500 in trade --- YA RIGHT!!

Bob

[ 07-17-2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: son of a gun ]

Lone Eagle
07-17-2003, 15:41
Mine just turned over on 32K. I had the cold air duct sealed up and the steering box replaced to get rid of front end rattle. Overall city/highway mileage is at 18.32. This truck loves hills and has never been passed unless I let them. The transmission & cruise control are smarter than I am. The juice kicks butt and the engine mounted Racor seems to be doing the job. I think I will keep it past the 36K. Later! Lone Eagle :D :D

gene smith
07-17-2003, 17:55
allie/max
the company i work for has 2, a 01 an a 03. the 01 is on the road daily with heavy loads from okla to gulf area, it has just over 200k and doing good, at 103k we lost 3 injectors and believe it or not the factory paid, no problems with the trany or diff so far, truck gets serviced at 10k and truck stop diesel with no additives and there are no modifications to the engine just k-n replacement filter, hope this helps-- Geno

hoot
07-17-2003, 20:12
Originally posted by son of a gun:
Hoot,

I got $32,000 and my buyer decided to take the fuel tank, juice and guage after he drove the truck. I was going to take them off, he paid 75% of retail and I'll just buy new parts. That's easier than taking it all off and reinstalling. Think I got a good price. Dealer offered me a whopping $26,500 in trade --- YA RIGHT!!

Bob Bob,
I'd have to say.... You did good!

Bigwheel
07-20-2003, 12:34
Lone Eagle??
You mentioned about you had the cold air duct sealed up & the steering box replaced to get rid of the front end rattle, well I'm getting some serious rattling after I reach speeds around 75 mph, and it sounds like it's on the windsheild, I thought my wipers were rattling, but I think it's around the weather stripping or something. It's wierd, only at high speeds or bucking a serious wind. It seems you like the Juice, what do you think about the van Aaken SmartBox-E?? I'm considering getting it or the Juice, did you do 4"exhaust and intake air to compensate?? I'm looking for a little more power. Thanks! :cool: :D