PDA

View Full Version : Quitest 4" muffler?

Fat Boy
03-30-2003, 01:20
I'm looking to put a new exhaust on my truck, and since you D-Maxers run 4" systems a lot more than us 6.5 guys, I thought I'd ask here...

Who makes the quietest 4" in/out performance muffler? If no particular recommendations, how 'bout design style? Dynomax has a straight-through 4" muffler with a perforated core and "constantly roving fiberglass" (whatever that means). The body is 20" long and 9" in diameter. That's about the biggest I've seen.

Would running a cat or a second muffler make it quiter and less likely to produce a drone?

I know a lot of you want the performance sound, but I don't. I commute 120 miles a day, mostly highway with the occasional stop & go traffic jam. I don't want to be deaf in six months.

Thanks,
Fat Boy

stretch
03-30-2003, 07:20
Wouldn't you be better off with the stock type exhaust ? I would think that any performance exhaust, especially with a 4" pipe would be a bit loud. 120 miles a day is a very long commute !!! Good luck with your quest !! :cool:

DMAXED
03-30-2003, 10:42
I have the banks system on my truck and it's not much louder then stock at idle and a bit louder at highway speeds very civil . I also heard the kennedy system is very good also. good luck

ndamico
03-30-2003, 11:34
I must second the Banks. I've had it on my truck for some time, and don't even notice it over the engine.. its not near as loud as my neighbor's 84 Bronco with aftermarket exhaust..

Nick

sonofagun
03-30-2003, 16:27
Fat Boy,

I run John Kennedy's 4" exhaust and am quite pleased. It is a bit louder as it shifts through the gears but is no louder at crusing speed.

John has another muffler that he says runs quieter if you want to call him about it.

Good Luck,
Bob

Smittybilt
03-30-2003, 21:28
I've just installed a Banks Monster exhaust and have to say it is not much louder than stock at idle and cruising speeds. Just rumbles a little when you're accelerating hard. My previous truck was a gasser and I put a Flowmaster exhaust on that thing. Now that was fairly loud and by the and of 120 miles would probably make you deaf in the long run. Rey smile.gif

Jomar
03-30-2003, 21:53
I`ve been running with the Dynomax system on my truck for over a year now and it does have a little humming or resonating at 55 to 60 mph but I`ve noticed that I don`t hear it when I`m riding in the passenger seat.

Jomar

a64pilot
03-31-2003, 08:05
Fatboy,
Ever thought about running a stock Dmax muffler on your 6.5? I know that it is "only" 3.5 in, but it should be a lot less restrictive than the stock 6.5 muffler and be very quiet to boot.

BassinRVer
03-31-2003, 14:17
I have the Banks exhaust. It is noticable going throught the gears but once I am at highway speeds I can not hear it. I DO NOT have bad hearing I am too young. The Banks is more throatie than JK so I would think JK would be quiter running through the gears than the Banks.