PDA

View Full Version : Small engine oil leak...

DennisG01
03-19-2004, 11:48
When I recently had an alignment done, the garage told me I have a very small "rear main seal leak". I do have a small leak (about 3 -5 drops on the driveway overnight), that I thought was coming from the oil filter seal so I kept wiping it off and tightening it, but it never stopped. Anyways, if I do have a "rear main seal leak" is there some type of additive that I can put into the oil to help seal up the leak? The garage told me that for the amount that it is leaking it would not be worth the expense at this time to fix it - and it might come right back as this is a relatively normal problem - he said it's one of those things you just "learn to live with". Any thoughts?

tanker
03-22-2004, 01:44
Hi Dennis, The rear main is a one piece seal that requires the transmission, flywheel, oil pan etc., removal to replace. One item that does leak on a 6.5 is the O-ring on the oil filter adapter. I would degrease the area with "Simple Green" or "Brake Clean", then drive it and look again. Oil leaks can be a problem to find. The fan, and wind can blow the oil to a low spot, where it will drip from. Another potential oil leak is the oil cooler lines, or the crank position sensor. I would start a clean and look-see program first. If you are ever in need of a good trust-worthy GM dealer that knows the 6.2, 6.5, and DuraMax, and is honest, try "Bergey's" GMC on RT-113 in Franconia, Pa. near Souderton. 80 years in the same place, says something. The company I work for, my Son, and myself, have used them with confidence. smile.gif

CBinCT
03-22-2004, 22:03
Guys, I've got a '99 Sub that weeps a tiny bit of oil around the filter - shows up on the large cap just in front of and under the filter adaptor. I first noticed this about 2 months ago. Truck has 131,000 miles. I'm interested in the o-ring problem - any additional info would be appreciated.
Thanks. 

DennisG01
03-23-2004, 04:25
Thanks Tom - I will try your suggestion of "clean and look". At least that will help narrow it down.

Anyone know of any pros/cons about some kind of additive in case it is a seal that is leaking?