PDA

View Full Version : Put 26.885 gallons in CC SB with Gooseneck

Tractorhauler
12-23-2002, 12:45
That is a record for me to put in a tank. I once had a codriver runout of fuel 2 miles from a flying J and all we could get in was 26 gallon.

Anyone else put any more into a short box CC?

Mark

LarryM
12-23-2002, 13:53
On my long bed 34 gallon tank, I have seen more than 2 gallons difference in useable fuel between unloaded and full load.

The long narrow tank causes this. More than once I have had the low fuel light come on as I unhooked the trailer and all the fuel ran forward. This is just one of the things that cause such large differences in MPG when only checking it on one fill up.

wxmn6
12-23-2002, 13:53
I think that it does not matter what cab your truck is. What I know is that all short box trucks have a fuel tank capacity of APPROXIMATELY 26 gallons as GM said, and all long box trucks have a capacity of APPROXIMATELY 34 gallons.

My truck is an extended cab short box and I have 26 gallons fuel tank capacity.

You filled up close to 27 gallons, a possible explaination would be that the fuel tank capacity is 26 gallons, plus for the additonal capacity in the fuel filler neck?

hdmax(mike)
12-23-2002, 15:07
Fuel tanks do not count the air pocket as part of the capacity. So an 26 gallon tank may be 27 or even 28 gallons of usable fuel. (If you want to top it off to the rim.) Plus the filler neck will hols a little. On my ole 97 short bed, I squeezed 27+ many times.

So far the most I`ve put in this truck has been 25.263 gallon. And I was praying it wouldn`t run out before I got to Flying-J. Diesel engines won`t run after they gets some air :( I have had gas engine get 5 or 6 miles down the road after they spuddered. Not a Diesel!

Tsckey
12-23-2002, 22:54
Just for the heck of it I thought it would be fun to see if I could stretch a tank from Grand Junction Colorado to Ely Nevada, about 430 miles. We arrived with the fuel warning light on and my pucker strings very tight. Put in 25.7 gallons. We should have had more fuel left, but I was holding 80 and more most of the way, which dropped the mileage down into the high 16s. Now that I know the truck can make it I don't think I'll be tempted to do that again.

TC

Rebel_Horseman
12-24-2002, 08:01
Seems like I thought I read somewhere that a short bed had a 29 gal tank. Maybe I misred that somewhere.

Reb [><]

Searay90
12-26-2002, 16:44
You guys are all assuming that the pumps that we buy fuel from meter fuel correctly/accurately. I'll tell you for a fact that most of them don't deliver what they claim.

Take a 5 gal race fuel jug. Measure exactly 20 quarts of water and put it in an empty container. Mark the level on the jug. Now empty the jug and allow it to fully dry out.

Take this jug and take it to your local fueling station and put exactly 5 gallons (according to the read out on the pump) and look where the fuel level reads compared to the mark you made earlier. Nine times out of ten, the fuel you just pumped will not come up to the line on your fuel jug.

I've done this here and home, and at the local mom & pop station near our lake house. It takes 5.3 gallons to reach the mark her at home (TX), and over 5.5 gallons to reach it at the lake house (OK). Both of these places carry the mandatory inspection stickers that they meet the "weights & measures" guidelines, but they only sample one gallon, and are allowed to be off by a few percent and still pass inspection.

So even though they pump said that you put 27 gallons in a 26 gallon tank, well you just don't know for sure how much you actually got out of the pump.

And yes, for the record this practice by fuel retailers ****es me off, but unless you put a fuel tank in your back yard.........

:mad:

rtquig
12-26-2002, 18:47
A little to the side of the topic, but also speedometers are allowed to be off +/- 5mph. And 2 years ago the government stopped testing for this.