PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure on start up

D/A
12-23-2002, 13:30
I am wondering if any one else have noticed that the oil pressure is not there when engine starts and will not come up until its running for about 10 or so seconds. seems like the oil is draining down. I have had this happen with both oil filters for the Durmax. Rotella 15-40 cold start temps around 40-50 degrees

[ 12-23-2002: Message edited by: D/A ]</p>

letsgo
12-23-2002, 13:50
I have always had instant pressure, no delays. When I do an oil change that is different there is a delay on start up, but that makes sense.

good luck

MaxACL
12-23-2002, 14:19
Same here, I've always had instant oil.

WillyM
12-23-2002, 14:46
My pressure takes a few seconds to start climbing up, a little longer in cold conditions. When engine is hot, it responds immediately on restart. I assumed that this is normal. Would be interested to get input from others.

hdmax(mike)
12-23-2002, 15:15
When cold, mine is up over 80 psi in 2-3 sec. It climbs very fast right at start up. Before I added the Amsoil dual remote bypass oil filters and SERIES 3000-5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil. It was well over 80 psi just as fast.

mtomac
12-23-2002, 16:08
what oil filters are you using?

ram/tx
12-23-2002, 17:21
D/A I run the same oil as you are and when I start up in the mornings, the oil pressure just starts up slow until it reaches the 80 psi mark. Mind is not fast like some of the others are saying their's is. I use the PF2232 filter. 18,000 miles and no problem yet. After the engine gets hot then I have almost instance oil pressure. Hope this helps.

bdarrah
12-23-2002, 17:36
Had same problem show up approximately six months after delivery. It was random. Once or twice a month thru Summer, but weekly thru the Winter. Warm or cold oil made no difference. Never a hot oil problem. The low oil pressure warning would come on before oil pressure showed on the gauge. Dealer thought it was electrical, but could never observe it. Delay was about the same as dry filter on startup after an oil change. Dry filter startup always turns the low oil pressure warning on. Using a data recording device I was able to capture the event and show the dealer. I always use GM filters, makes warranty easier to resolve.

Since this wasn't my major concern, we just pushed it to the back burner. Oil consumption was were the attention was focused. I wont get into those details. 32,000 miles later GM came out with an oil consumption guidline bulletin and I got a replacement engine. Oil pressure pops up real fast, even before the battery warning light turns off. Still using the same electrical as the previous engine. Dry filter startup at oil change shows pressure quicker. Still using Caterpillar 15W40 oil.

Even with these problems, it's the best truck I've owned.

Proud Owner 2001, 2500HD, still stock

hdmax(mike)
12-23-2002, 18:50
Micheal Tomac;

I am using the BE100 and I the SDF26

D/A
12-23-2002, 20:12
Thanks for all the input I am using the stock duramax oil filters Part # 97214983 and # 88917036 I understand these are exactly the same just different in color. I get the same results with both. It does seem like it is starting out with a dry oil filter.

mtomac
12-23-2002, 20:54
Is the SDF26 a Fram filter? If so, cut one open sometime. You won't be impressed.

BigLakeDMAX
12-23-2002, 22:15
I've also noticed a slight delay in building oil pressure on a cold start - just 2 or 3 seconds and only after I switched to Rotella Synthetic 5w40. Not nearly as long as the delay after an oil change. I have 6800 miles on my '02 at this point.

Anybody know where the Oil Pressure sender is at on these engines? If its mounted high, perhaps only the sender is effected to this extent? I'd hate to think the rest of the engine is seeing no pressure for even 2 - 3 seconds let alone 10.

Merry Christmas to all - it's a brown one here in central Minnesota.

hdmax(mike)
12-24-2002, 07:35
Micheal Tomac
Contributor
posted 12-23-2002 07:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the SDF26 a Fram filter? If so, cut one open sometime. You won't be impressed. ---------------------------------------------------------------

No! The SDF26 is the part number for the full flow filter by Amsoil. But I do plan on cutting it open some time just to see how well it is made. The SDF26 is about twice the size as the factory filter, With that said, I am hoping it filters bertter and for more miles then the factory one.

mtomac
12-24-2002, 13:33
the part # looked like a fram #

fram filters = junk in my book

SoMnDMAX
12-24-2002, 15:35
Big Lake, IIRC, the oil pressure sender is located at the front end of the drivers side oil gallery, just above the "lower crankcase" to engine block mating surface. From the underside of the truck, look up behind the power steering pump and it's there sticking out the side of the block.