PDA

View Full Version : If it ain't broke... or is it?

NoMo
03-30-2003, 16:58
My engine is loud both outside and inside the cab. In fact, it's at least as loud as a 7.3 PSD (even louder than a few I've heard).

However, everything seems to be OK. The truck runs great and got 19.5 MPG on last fill-up. There's no smoke at startup or any other time. The oil is clean and at correct level. Engine has ~9500 miles on it and has always had a very noticeable case of the "tick"- which can be heard inside the cab. Also, if it helps, you can hear the pilot injection shut off in the upper RPMs and the truck gets even louder.

Anyway, should I be concerned about this perceived loudness? It's kind of embarrasing to pull up to the fuel pumps and have my Dmax drown out the Fords... not to mention the "ticking". redface.gif

dmaxalliTech
03-30-2003, 17:03
NoMo, If your drowning out the strokes at the pump, I would have to agree you sound loud.I always enjoy pulling up to the pump and not being able to hear my truck over the other big two. I think that a precautinary trip to the dealer is in order, just to be on the safe side. The first check to be would be a side by side comparison with another d-max. They should do this even if its loud. Past that it would depend on exactly what the noise sounds like and what if anything can be done to correct it. We havent seen any trouble yet on the 03 injectors but it cant be ruled out.

NoMo
04-02-2003, 10:44
Thanks. I'll get it checked out when I get back to T-town. Even my wife, who rarely drives the truck, asked me if it was always this loud after she drove it to town the other day.

a64pilot
04-02-2003, 10:48
NoMo,
The tick seems to diminish with age. I have 55,000 on mine and it seems to tick only with fresh oil. When it ticks it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.
BTW, have you changed your fuel filter yet?

NoMo
04-02-2003, 15:09
The tick doesn't really bother me as it's had it since I drove it off the dealer's lot. Although I mentioned it just for info purposes, the tick is actually getting less noticeable. Perhaps because the other engine noise is louder. ;)

The real noise that has me concerned is pretty much just "diesel" noise, but it's getting louder. Truck really does sound like an old PSD instead of the quiet Dmax.

When I get back from Dallas, I'll be needing an oil change- so I'll do the fuel filter too.

Thanks!