PDA

View Full Version : Idle

WOJO 1
07-17-2003, 08:29
Maybe you guys can help. Here recently I have picked up this intermitent rough/erratic idle. Happens most of the time in the morning. When I am just getting ready to stop at a light you can feel a slight chugging motion. Once stopped, sometimes it will idle nice and smooth and other times the idle starts to jump around alomost like a surge but not quite. I took the Juice of before and it didn't seem to help but am going to try it again. Fuel filter has about 5K on it. Took the KN filter out as well. Truck has 20K on it.
I can say that this is the only problem I have with this truck.
Suggestions?? Trying to avoid making an appointment with the dealer.

hoot
07-17-2003, 09:06
I think it's kinda normal. A lot of our trucks have a slight "lopey" idle on cool mornings that goes away pretty much after warmup.

Those with continuous lopey idle get a new high pressure pump.

WOJO 1
07-17-2003, 09:10
Hoot, thanks for the reply. By way you come up with some good reading material. Anyway, if it had done it since day one then I could live with it. But it just started here recently. You think a trip to the dealer is in order then??

hoot
07-17-2003, 09:45
Originally posted by WOJO 1:
Hoot, thanks for the reply. By way you come up with some good reading material. Anyway, if it had done it since day one then I could live with it. But it just started here recently. You think a trip to the dealer is in order then?? It wouldn't hurt to take it in and get it on file with GM. That way it was documented.

Lot's of the reading material comes from members here and this great page.

Too bad you can't take it with you to the crapper :D

BlueOx03
07-17-2003, 10:11
Hoot-

Laptop on wireless network + TV tray and you'll be all set. tongue.gif

Gbenzx01
07-17-2003, 10:28
WOJO,
I agree with Hoot abt getting the issue on record and you might get them also todo the ecm/tcm reflash updates as well unless already done.
After we did ours the idle problem was gone.
Guess you could try turning back the Woofers a little when ya slow down. I guess they probly use a couple hundred lbs of torque?
A rumor says this trucker had so much power going to his cb radio that it would shut the truck down if he keyed it up at idle. Who Knows......

Gben

dmaxalliTech
07-19-2003, 21:12
Originally posted by BlueOx03:
Hoot-

Laptop on wireless network + TV tray and you'll be all set. tongue.gif Now there is an idea..... :D

Applecore
07-20-2003, 06:25
My 01 Dmax had the "loping" idle during a cold start. It left me stranded on our trip to Florida last winter in Arkansas. Turned out the injector pump went out. I had heard of this earlier in this web site but didn't think mine was too bad. It appears that some injector pumps were bad in the 01's, but not enough for a total recall. GM replaced the pump. I would certainly get it to the GM dealer ASAP.

sdaver
07-20-2003, 08:01
blue ox can you see thru my laptop monitor?...not a pretty site.....be glad you cant smell :D I kinda agree with applecore

BlueOx03
07-20-2003, 08:51
I talked to a buddy of mine who is a fleet diesel mechanic about this. While he doesn't have any D-maxes in his fleet, he said similar problems usually stem from injector/injector pump problems.

I forgot to put out a warning that goes with my previos post. If you use a wireless network it is highly recommended that you add a secondary spam filter. It's still being debated whether it works best pre or post OEM though. tongue.gif

Maybe in Sdaver's case a gas mask wouldn't be a bad idea either! redface.gif