PDA

View Full Version : Rotella fuel conditioner, Yes or No?

cowboywildbill
07-17-2003, 12:42
Anyone know anything about the Rotella fuel conditioner. I read that it contains no alcohol and that it is a water emusifier. Is that safe for the Duramax? I know there was a post some time ago about water dispersing types and the like. I can't remember which type for our system. Thanks for your input. Also they sell it a Wally Mart and it is pretty reasonable.

Maverick
07-17-2003, 21:05
I've been using the Rotella DFA (Diesel Fuel Additive) since Dec or so. No complaints and it seems to do the job for me. I like it even better because its readily avaliable at Sams for $36 a case. You get (6) 1 quart bottles. 1 quart treats 100 gals.

cowboywildbill
07-18-2003, 08:45
Thanks, I have been using it also. But I wanted to be sure it isn't the type that makes the water mix with the fuel and go through the fuel system and do all of those bad things that I here about.

FirstDiesel
07-20-2003, 21:30
It's an emulsifier. That means it makes the water mix with the fuel and go through the system. If you believe George or John this is what you want to happen. Capture the loose water and prevent it from causing problems.

I ran the Shell stuff for awhile and have shifted to the stuff Keneddy sells since the local Sam's didn't have the Shell anymore. Had no problems with the Shell and none with the Total Power either.

Trip
07-21-2003, 06:36
But didn't the GM bulletin referred to in another thread, allow 2 different demulsifying additives (I believe it was Racor and Stanadyne) and let the water separator take it out of the system? If I have this wrong, please let me know as I'm running the Stanadyne Performance Formula. :rolleyes:

ram/tx
07-21-2003, 17:30
Trip---You are right, GM recommends the two you mentioned. They don't want the water going though the filter with the fuel. The emusifier"s tie up the water in the fuel and sends it to the injectors. GM doesn't like this, they want the filter to catch the water. Both trains of thought have be talked about here, and every body has there own thoughts on the matter, but GM wants you to use a de-emusifier. Drop the water out of the fuel and let the filter take care of it. So be your own judge.