PDA

View Full Version : strange start ups

Jim P
03-19-2004, 13:48
My truck has a continuous ses light and I am getting codes for APP. Sometimes when I shift gears and get back on the throttle it does not rev back up until I let off the pedal and push it again. I am going to try taking the pedal assembly off and clean it with electrical contact cleaner.

Here is the strange part. At work and only at work, it starts almost instantly but is barely running for 10 or 20 seconds. It must be only idling about 200 rpms and will not take any throttle and makes almost no noise at all. With the doors closed you would swear it was not even running. After the 10 or 20 seconds it comes up to normal idle speed and runs perfect.

Out on the road it runs fine except for no response from the pedal every once in a while. It still has normal power and everything.

Would this related to the APP codes?

ucdavis
03-19-2004, 16:06
1) Don't go to work, or
2) clean out or replace the APP.
That's the order I'd attack in, starting w/#1.
The APP is a set of 3 rheostats, which can get gummed up w/the wear residue the coils scratch off the contact over time. I hear tell (on TDP) of a guy who drilled a small hole in the side of his, squirted it full of contact cleaner, rinsed it out liberally w/contact cleaner, blew it out w/compressed air, made sure it was dry inside, sealed the hole & it ran perfectly everafter. Your mileage may vary.