PDA

View Full Version : K&N offroad charger?

Buck
12-24-2002, 03:46
To ALL who have the offroad charger, how does the turbo sound compared to stock with the kit installed? Anybody go from K&N factory replacement to offroad charger? Notice any changes? What about when it rains, don't these suck in the water to?

I would absolutely be running the Drycharger pre-filter over the K&N. I got a lot of bugs stuck between the pleats on my factory replacement and can't get them out :confused: Either amsoil or offroad charger with pre-filter, very soon....

Kennedy
12-24-2002, 08:32
I think the fact that a lot of guys run pre-filtration on the K&N speaks volumes about their level of confidence in the filter...

afp
12-24-2002, 22:07
I have the Aircharger. I put it on the day afetr I bought the truck. You can hear a light turbo whistle, and the turbo seems to like the lower restriction and spool up faster. I noticed this immediately after installing the Aircharger.

I run the outerwears wrap as well. I have been in very nasty rain, and when going through deep puddles have had muddy water splash up over the hood. I had mud and water all over the truck. All I have gotten is a few water spots on the wrap.

Several folks have had oil analysis run with the K&Ns, and they numbers generally come out just fine, meaning the idea that the K&N doesn't filter dirt well is just an Amzoil salesman's wish.

Blaine

c5dura
12-25-2002, 09:21
Definately increased turbo whine with the Aircharger (I like it!), especially with the passenger window down.

You should be fine as far as water ingestion is concerned as long as you leave the factory base plate in place.

I made the mistake of removing this plate for additional cold air, and all was fine until I ran into a ditch full of water. In trying to get out, quite a bit of muddy water was pulled through the K&N and through the turbo and into the intercooler.

After that experience, I got a new K&N, put the base plate back in and added an outerwear wrap.

I will say that I don't think the stock air filter would have done much better during this particular event.

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-25-2002, 21:17
HERE WE GO AGAIN :D

WE SHOULD MOVE THIS TOPIC TO AMSOIL VS. K&N AND PERMENENTLY ARCHIVE IT WITH THE REST OF THE DISCUSSIONS :eek:

TO EACH THERE OWN!!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL smile.gif :cool: ;)

GMC

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

Kennedy
12-26-2002, 09:22
For the record, I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if Amsoil were to go out of business tomorrow. I'd just locate someone else to build a foam filter. If the salesman in me were driving this ship, I'd be selling the K&N because the name is so damn big it just sells itself. It is much easier to sell someone something they want and think they need than something YOU think they need, however in this case I'll choose the latter every time...