PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pipe Sound Clips

Rebel_Horseman
12-24-2002, 08:35
I asked this question some time back and got no response so I'll try it again. Does anyone have a sound clip of a straight piped D-max?

Reb [><]

mtomac
12-24-2002, 10:15
I got rid of the straight pipe and went with a flowmaster muffler. When running empty it was fine in the cab unless you were really gettin' on it but the first time I towed it was way too LOUD. It sent women and children running when I went thru quiet little towns. Well not really, but there wasn't anyone looking the other direction when I went by either. The echo did sound cool going thru underpasses though.

The flowmaster is a good balance between the stock muffler and a straight pipe. It's still quiet at an idle and driving around empty unless you get on it then it's almost as loud as a straight pipe outside without the resonance and noise inside. Towing I pick up a little resonance inside around 55mph if I'm in 5th. In 4th it isn't there and empty I don't hear any resonance in the cab utill 85mph and up. EGT's were 50-100 degrees lower with the straight pipe and are about the same with the flowmaster. I've never saw over 1300 degrees with the flowmaster or straight pipe. With the stock muffler I could get it there when towing.