PDA

View Full Version : DMAX Dies this a.m.

Phil B.
10-04-2005, 13:28
Looking for some pointers here. This a.m., on my way to work, put the key in and turn to let the glo-plug do its thing. Dash lights up for an instant then everything dies. No electrical power anywhere. Batteries are new within the last 6 months, even though this is not like any dead battery scenario I've ever heard of... I had meetings all day and couldn't spend any time messing with the truck. Before I start troubleshooting, thought I'd see if anyone has clues or pointers based upon this type of failure.

Do these trucks have fusible links or another main fuse in the power "distribution center"? Would a dead CPU take down all power?

I've owned this truck since new and it has been great. Now, the biggest problem I may have is that if I have to tow it to dealer, it has an aftermarket program (Predator)... I have the exteneded warranty and only about 60K miles on the truck.

Thanks for any insight.

Phil B.

Kennedy
10-04-2005, 16:18
I'd look at voltage/battery charge first.

Phil B.
10-04-2005, 18:36
Hey John,

Well, I got home, grabbed the VOM planned on finding the open. However, to my surprise I put the key in and it started like nothing ever happened. I checked the battery voltage and both batteries were fine.

I hate problems like this. This is definitely a strange one. The battery power was definitely cut since the radio lost all the presets. Now, what could cause an intermittent open? All the connections are tight and look fine (batteries, alternator, etc.).

Phil B.

Buck
10-05-2005, 00:15
I remember way back when the Dmax first came out (I had an '01 to) I believe the power steering hose clamp needed to be turned to avoid chafing the battery cable...........

Jim Brzozowski
10-05-2005, 08:19
Phil, did it throw a code?

Phil B.
10-05-2005, 19:14
No stored DTCs. I did have 15 "DTC Not Ran SCC" whatever that means...

9 of the 15 were for a misfire in each cyclinder (one was twice)

The other 6:
P0621 - Unknown fault
P1172 - Unknown fault
P1432 - Fuel sensor circuit 2 Low Voltage
P1433 - Fuel sensor circuit 2 High Voltage
P1637 - Generator-L-Terminal Circuit
Nd300 - Unknown fault

The P1637 code looks interesting... Anyone know what this means?

What I don't know is if these codes have been stored for some time. Since they weren't stored as DTCs I am assuming these were glitches in the system but didn't persist so no code was stored (?).

Phil B.

Phil B.
10-05-2005, 19:21
Buck,

Thanks for the tip. I checked all the cables and they are fine.

If one battery went down, it looks like the wiring of these batteries would still allow voltage to the system (unless a battery had an internal/external short and took down the other). I'm guessing that whatever the gremlin, it has to be common to each battery and this makes be believe its upstream of the battery. These are all just guesses at this point.

Phil B.

SS396
10-06-2005, 10:37
Phil, what batteries do you have?

I had the same problem you described with mine, happened 3 times. The last time it happened, after jumping it, all the gauges didn't work, engine started and ran, just no gauges.

After the last time it happened I replaced my Delco's (with 23,000 miles) with Optima red tops. 12,000 miles later and no problems. (Knock on wood). I am not sure if it's a battery thing or not.

I keep the old Delcos in my garage, charged up, just in case.

Phil B.
10-06-2005, 11:10
I now have the Optimas. I've put about 5K miles on these batteries. I was running late for work when this happened but if it happens again, I'll try jumping the batteries. Very strange for a complete open in the circuit to occur sporadically like this (when all the external connections look fine). I'm almost leaning towards a CPU/power module problem but I need to get schematics to better understand how this thing is wired.

As a testiment to the DMAX, I've been waiting to buy the factory manuals until I needed them (for a problem). Haven't needed them up until now...

Phil B.

tennykimble
10-06-2005, 11:40
phil, just a thought but, bad ground connections can cause all sorts of weird problems, maybe check some of the basic grounds, batt, engine, ect. as far as it doing it once...?? not sure but, i would start out with something simple. just my 2 cents (for whatever it's worth) :rolleyes: :D

MIKE MOG
10-09-2005, 15:34
Hey Phil,
I would try a engine voltage drop. Should be no more than .2 volt If higher I would check all grounds. What year is you truck and how many miles?
Mike

markrinker
10-10-2005, 03:32
Sounds like a bad cell in one of your batteries.

Phil B.
10-10-2005, 14:42
Thanks for the tips. All ground wires ohm-out okay and all connections are tight.

Mark - wouldn't a bad cell drain a battery. I can't figure out how a battery could be bad (absolutely no juice to anything in the truck) then start fine several hours later - and no problems since. The intermittentcy of the problem is what rules out the batteries, in my thinking. Please correct or expand on how a cell failure could come and go and how a cell in one battery could take down the voltage to the whole system (wouldn't the second battery's voltage still be present at the dash?).

Thanks,

Phil B.

markrinker
10-12-2005, 17:56
Phil - any update?

Phil B.
10-13-2005, 13:18
No. Everything has been working fine. I'm taking the 5th wheel out next weekend. It will act up again just as we are departing, or on the road...

Phil B.