PDA

View Full Version : ??? Tick suddenly... gone ???

conradv
12-24-2002, 10:16
Is it the cold weather? It doesn't make complete sense, because it was colder than this for a few weeks last month and it still ticked...

But now my '03 doesn't tick at all. No oil change either.

It had ticked since it had 3 miles on it... I wonder if it will start up again when it gets warmer.

mackin
12-24-2002, 13:40
I think once the viscosity breaks down a bit or the oil gets some miles on it doesn't tick......
Mine as I've said will tick "every" time I changed the oil using 15w 40 the first 100 miles or so....

The reason I'm reposting and buying into this theory IMO is, I just changed to MOBIL I. Delvac 5w 40 synthetic....NO TICK !!!!!!!! Notta !!!!!! ZILCH !!!!! AT ALL !!!!! From the first hour on !!!!!!
Come to your own conclusion these trucks vary, but it works for me.....

George if you may, is there any harm in running this oil 24/7 365 days a year, plus an occasional leap year???? Hardly a whisper of HOT oil stench..I just may be all MOBIL all the time.....Due they carry a 15W 40 "synthetic" grade,if need be???

MAC :D tongue.gif :D

[ 12-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
12-24-2002, 14:32
Mackin,

I have been running Delvac 1 since before the Pull Off and will continue to run it year round.

My tick comes and goes, but still there at 29k...

Maxter
12-24-2002, 15:11
The tick appeared at my very first oil change from factory oil to... Delvac 1. It lasted the whole run until I changed the oil again to Delvac 1 again from the SAME 5 gallon pail at around 15,000km.

I never heard it since with Delvac 1 or the semi-synthetic I'm using right now, I'm almost 39,000 km mostly highway loaded.

Go figure, I tought it was filter related but there's alway somebody somewhere to destroy any theory so I just ignored it and frankly it's not so hard to do.

JF.

TBC
12-25-2002, 13:17
The dealer has done all oil changes on mine until the last one, at 20,000 miles and I have not had a tick since the first oil change. It went away and has not been back. I still love this truck and it still runs like a scalled dog and it is stock except for a K&N filter. My overall fuel mileage has been 12.9 and that covers all driving including towing and in town and I do not baby this truck. I could not be more pleased with a truck.