PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a TST PowerMax?

Burner
04-01-2003, 23:33
I do not know who has a TST. What will they do on 0-60 times, 1/4 miles times or Dyno numbers? :rolleyes: If you are close to Birmingham e-mail me. I'm about a 30 days from taking the plunge into never never (stock) land. :D :D

Burner ----> :cool: :D

a64pilot
04-02-2003, 10:01
Burner,
I have one, don't know if I can make it to B'ham though. If you are wanting to do a hot juice compare maybe I can send you mine, would love to see a direct compare between hot juice and TST. Same truck same day same same dyno etc.
I think that TST will compare very favoribly with the juice. If it does with it's lower price, remote control unit, gauges included and adjust on the fly as well as the ability to "tune" the power curve it is a heck of a product IMHO.
BTW the TST pyrometer is just as accurate as my SPA and since it has a lower mass thermocouple it's response time is much faster than my SPA

Kennedy
04-02-2003, 10:48
I haven't found the time to install this one yet, but my initial concerns are: Visibility of the "gauge" section through the wrinled plastic "lens" and also the lack of transmission monitoring for slippage.

The pyro probe used is a very nice unit from Hewitt. I have been "leaning" on SPA to alter their circuitry to allow a "grounded" thermocouple.

a64pilot
04-02-2003, 10:57
John,
Visibility of the "gauge" section is fine. It may be better "wrinkled" than if it was smooth due to glare. However if the sun is on it, forget it you can't see anything because it has an LED display. Mount it high like in the overhead console and you are fine. The SPA has an LCD so it is visible in sun of course.
I thought the TCM monitored Tranny slippage and put the tranny in limp mode if any was detected?
I was under the impression that as long as you kept the power under the point where the ally would "limp" that you would be OK.

Jelisfc
04-02-2003, 12:10
a64pilot, how big is the box? I'm thinking it might fit nicely in the worthless cubbyhole on my '03 dash that's right above the trans hump.

Does this box reduce output based on exh temps?

a64pilot
04-02-2003, 13:07
Jelisfc,
Without extending the wiring harness, and I wouldn't because I believe it is shielded. The box has to go under the hood. Most people put it on the fuse box top just like the juice.
You program the temp that the box shuts off any additional fuel it adds through the remote. I.E. if you set it at 1300, the recommended max, when EGT hits 1300 then the box is shut off and only stock fuel flow is allowed. There is no falling on it's face feeling nor is there any surging as temps exceed the set point and then fall below it. From my experience you will exceed the set point by about 50 deg. and then the EGT will fall back and maintain set point.
Also it comes with a replacement wastegate hose that has a brass "calibrated leak", also known as an honest orafice that increases max boost from around 23 to around 30.
There are 10 levels of torque enhancement, (amount of fuel added between 1300 and 2000 rpm apparently) and 10 levels of power enhancement ( maximum amount of fuel added apparently)
The manufacturer claims 140 rwhp, I have not dynoed it so I don't know. They do show dyno graphs on their website unlike some others. They also claim to own their own eddy current dyno.
Their site is www.tstproducts.com I believe.

a64pilot
04-02-2003, 14:28
Jelisfc,
OK I feel stupid now. I'll bet you wanted to know how big is the remote display right?
By my ruler it is about 2" high by about 2 and 3/4" wide and 3/4' deep. It's wiring harness is 8ft long I was told. I haven't measured it but it is plenty long enough to put it in the overhead console and run the wire down the A pillar and through the door jamb if you don't want to drill through the firewall.

GMCTRUCK
04-02-2003, 16:43
I've got the TST and am very happy with it. Works good with the hand shaker. I took a spastic Hot Juice'd member from this site for a ride and he was very impressed. Right now I've got the display/controller velcroed next to the vent to the left of the steering wheel till I figure out where I want it for good. Egt readings are about as instant and accurate as you can get. I am considering stacking it with the Predator if they come out with a rev limiter increase to go along with the speed limiter eliminator because as hard as this thing pulls right to the rev limiter, a couple hundred more rpms would make it even faster.

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

Jelisfc
04-02-2003, 16:50
a64pilot, you're right. I was wondering about the control box. You had me puzzled for a moment. Thanx.

GMCTRUCK, I agree even with my stock truck a few more rpms should keep the turbo spooled up a little better with our ZF's. ps what did you do to your airbox exactly?

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]</p>

GMCTRUCK
04-02-2003, 21:52
Jelisfc, I took the die grinder to the front of the airbox behind the headlight. Instead of drilling a bunch of holes like some people I cut one big opening similar to the factory opening on the fender side. On the lid itself I widened and smoothed it where the air exits the box and makes its way into the intake tube. The results if nothing else are a deeper intake growl and inhanced turbo whistle.