PDA

View Full Version : 2002 GMC Recall Notice !!!

Corndog
12-25-2002, 20:04
Merry Ho Ho to everyone!
Just received a recall notice on my truck.
It stated: We have learned that your 2002 GMC Sierra, equipped with a California emissions 6.6L
Duramax Diesel V8, may have been built with the
engine emissions\ control label installed at a location that is visually obstructed by the EGR wiring harness. The current location of the label
is on the driver side cylinder cover of the engine. The new location of a second label will
be on the engine fan shroud.

Problem is I don't have a California engine.
I guess I will ask dealer about it, cause the label they sent had Cal. info on it.
Sorry for the long post, just thought some others
got one also.

Corndog

DMax_Doug
12-26-2002, 10:26
Well, this is the last straw.

I can't think of a more grave recall notice for my '02 Dmax than for an improperly installed emissions sticker. ;)

SoCalDMAX
12-26-2002, 12:39
I got that notice as well. It included the sticker and instructions where to install it, on the fan shroud. I installed it and sent the reply card back.

I was afraid it was something serious, like GM had purchased a supply of Ford fuel tanks from the 70's and 80's... ;)

Regards, Steve

dmaxstu
12-26-2002, 13:54
Yeah that was the damn sticker the DMV bureaucrats were giving us, who ordered our CA compliant trucks out of state, such a bad time about. They threatened that they would not register them even though the CA sold trucks did not have them either but were not inspected like ours were. Stu

Corndog
12-26-2002, 14:03
The big question I had was, I thought all Cal. Emission Duramax's had the EGR valve and Vacum
pump, so you put the new label on the truck, you take to a stealer to have warranty work done and
they say you removed the vacum pump and EGR and your warranty is voided.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Sometimes I'm pretty dense.

Thanks corndog :D :D

OC_DMAX
12-27-2002, 16:01
All 2002 and 2003 DMAX equipped trucks (Chev and GMC)with a California emission system have an EGR system and a catalytic converter. Model year 2001 DMAX trucks do not have the above mentioned items. You may want to check under your truck to verify you do not have the catalytic converter (big can after exhaust downpipe but before muffler, if present)or the vacuum pump. Maybe your truck was ordered with a California emission system by the dealer. Hopefully not, since you do not want the EGR system if it is not required. If you don't have the mentioned items, then I would not attach the sticker, since it does not apply!

Another place to check is on the inside of the glove box door. The service identification sticker has all the codes for the options ordered for your particular vehicle. If you have a California emission system, you will see the code YF5. If you have the Federal emission system, you will see code FE9.

I just affixed the extra sticker to the engine cowling, per the instructions, on my 2002 Chev 2500HD DMAX truck (which has the Cal emission system).

Good luck!!

D-n-Tyke
12-27-2002, 17:03
Okay now I am mad. I don't think I can drive my truck anymore. I have a Cali equipped truck and haven't received my recall notice. Should I not drive the truck until I get the properly placed sticker installed?? :rolleyes:

Got to love it....

odoh
01-02-2003, 14:31
I've one of the final 02's off the line. My lable is on the ECCU. And no, haven't been contacted about a recall. So it may just involve 01 and early 02's. I've seen Dmax's w/no lable on the ECCU. ~ odoh