PDA

View Full Version : seats

tswartos
09-14-2003, 21:22
My seat is broke..the metal stabilizer bar that is left front to right front broke. It attaches to the seat frame that is the top half of the electric seat. Now this truck doesnt even have 80k yet and I'm not that fat. It looks as though the metal had a weakness and the chair rocks rocks back and forth. I took in to the dealer and they sid they had to replace the entire top assembly for $150 plus $250 in labor...yikes. I told them no thanks. Yhey did recomend that it take into a upholstry shop that has a welder on staff.

Any folks out there have any ideas or experiences?

DmaxMaverick
09-14-2003, 22:27
The seats are not that complicated. Disassemble it and have it welded, or a new piece fabricated to replace the broken one. A local welder may cost mere pennies compared to what the dealer charges for a new seat frame. Another option would be to buy one from a wrecking yard. You can install the cover, padding and electrics from your broken seat onto the salvaged one.

tanker
09-15-2003, 02:28
This should be a safety recall with GM. Chrysler just had a recall on some of their vehicle seats about a bolt that might break! Mine broke several years ago, and after my dealer gave me the price on a new metal frame :eek: I did the repair myself. I drilled and bolted it back together with a piece of steel plate, after removing the seat and the fabric. Its been fine ever since. My ole 75 suburban is still in the family with the original seat.Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

LanceW
09-15-2003, 05:21
Tim,

I'm not totally clear on which part broke, but I replaced the seat base (looks like the box-spring from an old army bunk) on mine last winter for about 65 bucks if I remember correctly.

If you are looking for the arm that's part of the electric seat assembly I would chck a junk yard.

yes, these dang things do have some play in them, you never notice it until after you break one. After mine broke I was telling another guy at our barn about it, we checked his seat and it was wiggling all over heck.

tswartos
09-18-2003, 17:49
sorry about the poor description...best i can come up with is if u look under the seat in the front part right behind where the fabric is a thin metal bar.

any chance someone has a diagram or web site that can help me disassemble it?

[ 09-18-2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: tswartos ]

Dvldog 8793
09-19-2003, 04:43
Howdy
If you do have a welder repair you frame make sure they anneal the welds after they are done. The seat frames are made of pretty good steal and if the welds are not heated and allowed to cool slowly they WILL crack on the weld. I am a welder/fabricator and know this from experience.
Hope this helps!
Conley

83Silverado
09-19-2003, 09:44
There were a coupla recalls for the seats. You can check out your specific rig on alldata.com:

94-C-62A MAY 96 Recall - Front Seat Back Recliner Attachment
94-C-62B MAY 96 Recall - Front Seat Back Recliner Attachment Failure

LanceW
09-22-2003, 08:13
that does sound like the "box spring" part of the base... you can remove the seat to get a better look at it without too much trouble.

Mine broke off where the elect. motor actuator attaches to the seat frame. I got the new part from a GM dealer here (was headed out of town, didn't have time to spend on the junkyard or welder angle) and he was able to print up an exploded view of the whole seat assembly for me. I would scan it for you, but due to that b***h Isabel we are still in the dark here in Richmond.

The whole swap took less than two hours IIRC, mostly trying to clip the little rings back together that hold the seat fabric to the frame. You'll see what I mean. Good luck