PDA

View Full Version : LLY owners, get a Boost Stick!

bobo
10-07-2005, 18:55
Go to John Kennedy's website and do yourself a favor, get a boost stick. It helps the egt probs. like I could never imagine. It is as good with stock programing as it is with power adders. This has to be one of the best bang for the buck products you can purchase. The install was a PITA for a few minutes, but worth every cuss word!

BarryD
10-08-2005, 04:02
I was reading about it on the other forum. Looks like a good MOD. I will order mine next week.

The EGT's on my truck with Predator just on 65 can get rather high. When towing you really have to keep on eye on it.

markrinker
10-08-2005, 04:08
Whats a boost stick? What does it do? Why do I need one?

Kennedy
10-08-2005, 04:51
The Boost stick is a simple plug in device that recomputes the signal from the OE boost sensor, feeding the databus an erroneous signal. In doing this, we increase boost psi so that you climp hills with increased performance and decreaased EGT's. The old way of just capping the signal does not work well for the LLY's active turbo which is why we've seen the Edge v1.2 revision.

BMDMAX
10-08-2005, 06:02
I can tell you that the difference towing 10K up the grades with and without the KD Boost Stick is pretty dramatic.

The extension harness will be tricky to get plugged in the first time but once that is done you are all set. A long thin bladed screwdriver will really help move the plug around to get it lined up and plugged in.

Highly recommended mod for any LLY owner!

JD Diesel
10-08-2005, 15:15
well this work good on a stock truck???. JD :D Have not been able to find any info on this.

bobo
10-08-2005, 17:57
Originally posted by JD Diesel:
well this work good on a stock truck???. JD :D Have not been able to find any info on this. It will work good on ANY truck. It cleans up unburnt fuel for trucks w/ programmers and it helps lower EGT's on all trucks. I removed the belt and the AC compressor (4 bolts) to gain access to the clip. It wasn't much fun to hook up, but worth it!

MikeC
10-09-2005, 07:52
JK,

I see you offer an extension cable for the boost stick.

I presume this makes it easier to remove the stick when the truck goes in for service. Is the extension easy enough to hide from prying eyes at the shop?

Mike

Kennedy
10-09-2005, 12:41
Originally posted by MikeC:
JK,

I see you offer an extension cable for the boost stick.

I presume this makes it easier to remove the stick when the truck goes in for service. Is the extension easy enough to hide from prying eyes at the shop?

Mike Yes and yes. Simply remove the stick and plug the OE connector to my extension.

azhuntnut
10-09-2005, 14:02
Kennedy, Have you done any tests yet with the Hypertech on level three and the boost stick installed? I know the boost levels are lowered already with the hypertech, but will the stick help with this and egt temps? Thanks, David

JD Diesel
10-09-2005, 18:24
Hi Bob O JD here I see you have the perdator and the edge. Why? need imput. JD smile.gif

Kennedy
10-10-2005, 04:46
I haven't re-installed the Hypertech since we confirmed the shape of the curves on Fingers' truck. Some day I may, but I wouldn't hold your breath that it will work.

I also wanted to add a note of caution here:

Edge Juice level 4 can deliver power levels at and sometimes beyond the stock Allison's capacity depending on the particular vehicle's engine responsiveness and trans holding capacity. The Boost Stick adds quite a bit of power to the Edge. It can make level 4 produce the power of level 5 etc. so please don't go out and limp your stock transmission. If you ride it hard in level 3 with the boost stick you will likely be at or near this point.

BarryD
10-10-2005, 11:21
John,

I am using a Predator and usually leave it on 65 tune towing or not. The trailer is around 7000 lbs.

After I install the BS should I drop down to the 40 tune when towing?

Thanks
Barry

Kennedy
10-10-2005, 11:53
You'll have to be the judge of that, but the 65 should be fine.

poolman12
10-10-2005, 16:32
J K
Have a 2006 LBZ ordered & have used Edge on 2002 & 2005 and been happy with results. Edge is waiting to get 2006 to start building juice for it. Any suggestions for the next few weeks or months or is it too new to do any thing with?

Appreciate any feedback or help from all.

Thanks
Jerry

Kennedy
10-10-2005, 20:00
New ECM (Bosch) so my opinion is to wait and let someone else be the guinea pig...

poolman12
10-11-2005, 02:14
J K
Thanks for input. I will enjoy stock for a while, it will give my big foot a rest. Really want good mpg. Last conversation exhaust not a big help, still true?.

Have a good day

Poolman

Kennedy
10-11-2005, 04:49
JW,

Exhaust helps the performance end quite well as evidenced by my dynoplot. I did my exhaust so early on that I have nothing to compare to.

All,

I just want to say thanks for the Boost Stick orders and thanks in advance for those still pondering. It's been great to see the online store take these orders rather than myself on the phone. :eek: There was a time when I preferred the personal conversation, (still do for tech/questions etc.) but at this point, the online store is a tremendous help allowing me to do take tech and sales question calls while the store does the secreterial part of the order. This way Elaine doen't have to struggle to read my writing. :D

fourtenposi
10-11-2005, 07:27
How much power increase could I expect from a boost stick?

Would that banks big head be worth it, it says you can adjust how much boost you get as you see fit?

Any opinions?

dakotakid
10-11-2005, 10:23
I just got done ordering a couple of them from JK - can't wait!!

Pat

Kennedy
10-11-2005, 11:37
Originally posted by fourtenposi:
How much power increase could I expect from a boost stick?

Would that banks big head be worth it, it says you can adjust how much boost you get as you see fit?

Any opinions? Banks big Head is for the LB7 engine only. LLY has no wastegate. For the LB7 I have a boost Valve that does well w/o any need to add any other hardware...

threeman
10-11-2005, 16:04
So JK when talking to you last week about my fan clutch and towing on the drivetrain board do you suggest the BS or the Edge? I tow 90% of time. Any increase for pwr, mpg, and lower EGT's would be appreciated. Not necessarily in that order.

sycamore
10-11-2005, 17:03
Does anyone have a picture or can point me to the direction as to where the clip is located for the boost stick. :eek: :rolleyes:

Kennedy
10-12-2005, 05:03
On it's own the Boost stick doesn't have a dramatic effect. With the Edge installed, it will make a tremendous difference in power, response, and most importantly EGT.

We are working on destructions, but the sensor is buried and hard to photograph.

[ 10-13-2005, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

madmatt
10-12-2005, 11:28
Thanks for input. I will enjoy stock for a while, it will give my big foot a rest. Don't expect your foot to get a rest w/ the LBZ. It's nasty for a bone stock rig and would smoke a lot of mildly tuned trucks :eek: . definitly drive it first. If your really after MPG you may decide to leave it as is.

durachev
10-12-2005, 16:51
John,

When running the Edge v1.2 on the LLY will this help the smoking issue. Mine smokes when accelerating constantly whether on level 2 or 3. I usually tow on level 1 cause if I tow on level 2 it smokes quite a bit too.

Kennedy
10-13-2005, 04:46
Yes, in my experience it will clean it right up exxcept for the "tip in" fueling.

Personally, I like the Edge Low Boost Fueling at 3 or less for clean operation.

PS the new A2 allows the Low Boost to be custom tailored per power level so when you change levels it is there automatically.

96ccdd
10-13-2005, 07:11
Can this be used with the " Finger Stick " or does it take the place of it ?

Thanks

tatkinson
10-13-2005, 08:42
96cc
Completely different items. Finger stick = EGR. Boost Stick = VVT.

Jim Brzozowski
10-13-2005, 16:54
JK, how does your boost valve work on an LB7, what does it do? How adjustable is the waste gate? How difficult is it to install? This is the first turbo engine I've owned so I plead ignorance. How does GM control the waste gate? What activates its release of pressure? Does it dump the excess exhaust gas back into the exhaust system as I suspect it does? Is it pressure controled or vaccuum controled? Are there any codes set by increasing the boost on the old LB7? Is there any advantage in Banks Big Head over your boost valve or disadvantages as you see it? I highly value your opinion because you tell it like it is with positive statements and not negative. Thanks in advance for the reply.

One more, will the A2 work on an 02 LB7, how big is it and where is the best place to mount it?

bobo
10-13-2005, 21:56
Track #'s w/ BS (boost stick) and Edge on level 5/5 = 14.110@95. This is w/ built trans. The Edge loves the BS and I cant get the EGT's over 1300. I just got the v 2.02 Predator installed tonight. I'm running 40hp Pred, BS, and Edge on 5/5....good power...no bursting. Boost is around 33-34psi. EGT's are higher, but I need more time to check things out. Once again....Get a Boost Stick..it is Awesome!!

Kennedy
10-14-2005, 05:35
The boost valve for LB7 is a simple inline valve that withholds boost psi from the wastegate until a preset point is reached. What you will find is that the OE (and even Banks Big Head) will benefit from this valve as they start to lift well before peak boost is reached. You will see quicker spol up as well as increased boost psi because more of the exhaust energy is being harnessed to drive the turbo. The wastegate tends to let a lot of the pulses/spikes in the exhaust bleed out.

LLY Boost Sticks: We expect to ship next batch on or around the 19th-20th of October and we are presently out of stock. Orders being filled in tghe order received and once again, I'll thank you in advance for ordering from my online store.

PS I added simple instructions for the boost stick with the listing. Still trying to make them highlight, but they should show up soon.

rickdlance
10-15-2005, 11:18
I was one of the beta testers for Fingers. The BS is for real. I tested it with no chip, with the current Predator, and with the EZ. Results were amazing.

AndyU
11-01-2005, 17:13
I have an Edge EZ on my 2005 LLY. I just wanted a bit more power for towing my big gooseneck horse trailer. Hopefully a bit more all around mpg too. I'm happy to say the EZ came through on both counts very nicely. I'm getting 1-2 mpg better running empty now. Towing mpg is probably about the same, but the added power is nice.

Now I find out I have to get a Boost Stick or all the other guys will laugh at me ;)

What if anything is the down side to this?

I mean hey, I'm ready to order today! As I understand it, it provides more power with lower EGT's right? Better throttle response, cleaner exhaust, all that good stuff. When I tow I only run the EZ on level 1 because I don't want to get my EGT to high, but I'd really like to be able to run on a higher level. Just how much of a difference does the BS make? My trailer is 8' wide, 10' high, 34 foot long, fully enclosed with a living quarters in the front half. I don't know what it weighs, but I'm sure it's a lot. Any opinion as to if I could safely pull that at higher power levels with the EZ? Everything else is stock. What about just running empty? That's 95% of my driving anyway. It would be real nice to get a bit more safe power at a price like the BS goes for. How does the BS affect fuel economy? Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to get this? What can you tell us other than it's a real pain to connect up?

maytagman
11-04-2005, 11:16
I installed the Boost stick one day and the EZ the next. It is whole different truck. These are two mods you have to have.