PDA

View Full Version : new camshaft

01max
10-08-2005, 17:58
I was just looking on compcams.com web sight and they say that they have 3 new cams for the duramax 1 cam is for more torque 1 cam is for more horsepower and 1 cam is for more fuel milege.
I was wondering what anybody thought about changing a cam? They say all these cams work best with modified trucks. ex. chips. ect.

Jim Brzozowski
10-10-2005, 08:22
Cam changes are a must for normally asperated engines, but hardly so for a turbo engine. You can already make more horsepower, with various add on accessories, than the stock parts can withstand still using the stock cam. I doubt they'll sell to many of them for street operation. The fuel mileage cams tend to make more torque at low rpm thereby requiring less fuel to turn the engine less rpm to achieve the same feel of power in the seat of your pants, but the Allison probably isn't going to let you make a lot of power at too low an rpm because of TCC lockup. If you run in tow haul to lock the converter it will run the shift points up higher and defeat the purpose of the low rpm torque. I suppose there are those who will try to twist the engine higher to make more HP, but the valve train will become a problem at sustained higher rpm's due to that bridge across the valves that gets banged around by the rocker arm. Sounds to me (in my head) that its a lot of work without equal payback in performance or longevity. Now if you've got a standard transmission, the mileage cam sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out if you change yours.

dmaxalliTech
10-20-2005, 14:01
We will be installing a handful of these cams this winter along with a host of other upgrades...results will be known in the spring