PDA

View Full Version : Max tow weight

Pizza Man
04-04-2003, 08:18
If my truck weighs 8200 lbs and the gooseneck weighs 18ooolbs loaded,am I over weight?
CAn the truck handle it?
Will the dmv give me problems?
Do I need to stop at weigh stations?

a64pilot
04-04-2003, 09:03
Pizza Man,
I sometimes pull weights at or higher than that with no problems. I only have done it on flat terrain, good weather and I keep my speed down and am very aware of increased stopping distances. I always plan for the trailer brakes to be inop eventhough they have always worked. I have never stopped at weigh stations and they have not come after me. This is in GA and Ala.

Colorado Kid
04-04-2003, 09:04
"If my truck weighs 8200 lbs and the gooseneck weighs 18ooolbs loaded,am I over weight?"
Yeah buddy! By 200# you're into CDL required territory.

"CAn the truck handle it?"
Probably.

"Will the dmv give me problems?"
I don't know about in PA, but In Colorado they very well might. I have seen 1-tons pulling heavily loaded goosenecks pulled over by the commercial division of the Colorado State Patrol.

In Colorado, if you own the truck, the trailer and everything on it you wouldn't need to stop...this is assuming that you don't weigh 26,000# or more...which puts you into commercial vehicle by definition. At 26,000# you need a Commercial Driver's Licence, a DOT physical, Numbers on the door, licencing appropriate to the weight on the truck, log books...the whole ball of wax. I'm betting this is true in PA as well. The only exception here is for farmers.

In Colorado, if the CSP stopped you and directed you to a scale and you weighed in at 26,200# you'd probably get a careless driving ticket...if the Trooper thinks you know how much your combo weighs (like he sees a CAT scale ticket that says 26,200# on the seat) it'll be a reckless driving ticket, which is more than twice as bad, and your rig would probably be impounded.
:eek:

Husker Fan
04-04-2003, 09:08
Wow, I just went through all of this.

Here is what I know, and I am pretty sure it

LarryM
04-04-2003, 09:19
Be cautious. State DOT and Federal DOT regs do not necessarily coincide and the DOT cops can and will enforce either one at their descretion. See this topic:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000241&p=

Also it's always good idea to assume that your trailer brakes DO NOT work. After two instances of mine not working, I learned my lesson.

gardnerteam
04-04-2003, 10:29
For over 20 years I have pushed weight limits with 43' Goosenecks and now with a 24' straight pull. My experience (lots of West Coast - some midwest and East Coast) has shown California is the worst, and though they do no require PICKUPS with trailers to stop, I have been pulled over numerous times and taken back to weight stations for weigh in (Beaumont near Palm Springs is the worst). They ALWAYS check the tire ratings and loads and add it up. I have ALWAYS been OK, as I run triple axle trailers with triple axle brakes and 10 ply tires with the largest possible load ratings. Once, I came within 5 lb of the max, but the rest of the time I have been well under. As to whether the trucks will handle it, the answer is yes, as long as it is not for prolonged long periods of use - like years. Are they rated for it, NO! Brakes - no problem with triple axle setup. Tow haul has been great for steep down hills like the Grapevine in California and the Rockies in Co. And YES, I do have a CDL - the other main thing I have been checked for.

Maverick
04-04-2003, 12:19
The truck can handle that load. As far as your other DOT questions. I would check with your states DOT or DMV. I have pulled my 53' Take 3 with 2 EC's and a Sub and was just under 32,000 lbs. I don't like driving with that much weight but it can do it if need be. The trucking industry in not regulated in Alaska so they go off tire size up here. I would have to be over 50,000 lbs to be overweight.

Pizza Man
04-04-2003, 18:22
Thanks for the replies guys....So actucually all I have to do is register the trailer under 16000lbs and the truck under 10000lbs. Realisiticly the trailer will weight(when loaded)15800lbs and the truck will weight 8400(with me in it). So this will put me under the CDL 26000lb requirement. Next question...can a cab and chasis carry more weight than a crew cab pickup?

a bear
04-04-2003, 19:11
Pizza Man,

Try this and look under trailering. Goose neck will be the same as 5th wheel.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/index.html

[ 04-04-2003: Message edited by: a bear ]</p>

technician
04-04-2003, 19:27
Pizza man,

From your sig I'd say you have a dually.
What is your GVWR?
My chassis cab is #12,000. I beleive that I have had it loaded to as much as #18,000 (I have weight slips for 16,000). I have run this weight short (10mi.) distances with no problems.I would never haul that much weight at highway speeds for any distance. I have hauled my back-hoe and trailer #24,000 (33,500 combined) localy but think that I agree with Maverick that this is a bit much. ;)
I also beleive that Federal laws state that you are not allowed to haul a trailer that is more than the GVWR of the tow vehicle. IE: #12,000 tow vehicle with #12,000 trailer = GCWR of #24,000
Sorry for long post hope this helps redface.gif

gardnerteam
04-04-2003, 19:30
I do not know if a cab and chassis can handle more weight, BUT, and this is a BIG BUT on the West Coast, while California and other states exempt pickups from stopping at scales, they do not exempt cab and chassis. Cab and Chassis must stop at all California and many other state scales. California is now even enforcing it on (U Haul & Ryder) housemoving rental trucks. Check the rules for the states you will be towing in.

Pizza Man
04-27-2003, 15:58
Thanks again.....SO what I am going to do is register the trailer at 15400lbs....and the trucks at 10500.

So my next question is: all dot and cdl aside.

If my trailer actually weighs around 18000 loaded and the truck is about 8000 do you guys think this is safe and ok?
The trailer will be a gooseneck with three 7200 lb dexter axles and a goose hitch rated for 40k.

a64pilot
04-28-2003, 06:40
Pizza Man,
Not trying to be cute, but it will be as safe as you make it. If you drive it like a 26,000 lb. pickup it will be safe. Just remember your weight and respect it and you will be OK.