PDA

View Full Version : EGR Investigation

tysmith
07-21-2003, 16:39
EGR appears to simply be a heat exchanger courtesy of Tokyo Radiator. The exhaust gas goes out of the Y pipe, into the heat exchanger above Passenger side head, into the intake post turbo. I see no wires, sensors, nothing. Pretty simple looking setup. In the future, EGR will go bye-bye, cat will go bye-bye, and all will be good in the world - unless someone with an '03 service manual can tell me otherwise.

Stay tuned

Ty

Kennedy
07-21-2003, 17:18
The ECM will set a code if it doesn't "see" a cause/effect change in air flow rates...

tysmith
07-21-2003, 18:30
That said, can it be fooled, or do I live with a little more soot in my crankcase? How does it realize a change in airflow? Is there a MAF in the intake? Time to order the '03 Manual...

Ty

Gbenzx01
07-21-2003, 20:08
Hot Dang Ty,
thought we had something there until the Loyal Professor came walking down the hall.
Then again info like that can be a godsend here on DP when the unknowing wrong move at the wrong time or place on our machines could cost us dearly. To me it's when the HigherUps I like to call them say, Nothing. And when this happens it's time to start putting the tools away.
And yes it does have the MAF located just off the air box where you'll see the wires coming from the induction tube clamp. Will not guess beyond that sense I could say wrong thing abt O2 sensor & how they control fuel measure.
Russia sending tree huggers to RI too? 2 sense,

Thanx, Gben

[ 07-21-2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Gbenzx01 ]

Trip
07-22-2003, 06:27
I purchased the 5 vol. set (man, the box size on my door step scared the heck out of me), and as I was browsing along, it looked like if you had a Tech II, you could disable the various EGR equipment? Is that possible? I too don't like pushing all that oily exhaust into something that should be kept as clean as possible. I've seen a 6.2 "C" motor with EGR when we did the inj. pump and it was a mess!

BlueOx03
07-22-2003, 06:52
Maybe a reflash of the computer would make it forget that it had the EGR? If these performance boxes can change the way the engine runs as well as tire size correction and other things, is it too outlandish to think a box could overide it?
Just some thoughts

TJ

Kennedy
07-22-2003, 08:07
Even the old 6.5's with MAF could tell if you defeated the EGR. When the ECM calls for EGR, it wants to see a subsequent reduction in MAF as the engine has to be getting it's "air" from somewhere.

That said, I've had limited experience with CA emissions Duramaxes (6.5 LD had EGR 50 states) but HAVE had one successfully running without EGR, I did NOT however run it through a full overnight start cycle and verify that the intake heater system, etc would not set codes...

There are solenoids, vacuum controls, a "throttle plate" etc on this system BTW.

Desert Diesel
07-22-2003, 09:26
BlueOx03,

On a CA emission Duramax the EGR does not activate
untill the engine reaches a set temp. If you reprogram that set temp to a higher number let's say 300

BlueOx03
07-22-2003, 13:18
I'm guessing that you're referring to the legalities of the issue. Ty, myself and others are currently pondering the physical and electronic possibilities. The thing we're looking at here is preventing unnecessary soot from returning to the engine thereby enhancing longevity of the engine. My truck as well as Tys were purchased in a state that requires the EGR and CAT. Both trucks are registered and operated in a state that does not require them. If we can buy a new one in this state without that stuff, why can't we take it off? Maybe a federal law? I don't know, but I'll look into it. A box that overrides the EGR could by legally made and marketed, however it may have to be labeled for off highway use only. I'll post my findings.

TJ

Inspector
07-22-2003, 14:00
As Desert Diesel has stated about disableing with a switch that simply sets the EGR "on" settimg, wouldn't this be the way to go thus leaving the system intack? It would would then be a 20 min process to remove the Cat and install a clean down pipe.
I have replaced the Cat with a stock non EGR down pipe and have noticed a difference in performance. If the EGR could then be deactivated in place maybe more performace can be realized. I'm not to keen on removing equipment that can't be reinstalled quickly for obvious reasons.

Denny

BlueOx03
07-22-2003, 14:15
If simply reprograming the opening temp will keep the EGR shut, no doubt about it that would be the way to go. Those reasons are clearly obvious. I would prefer not to be take some complex pieces off and fabricating blanks and such. The question is can it be done, and how? It could be as simple as an option on a Pred or similar box. It looks like removing the cat and overriding the EGR will be the way. Inspector, do you have the P/N for the straight down-pipe?
The light is coming into view.

TJ

tysmith
07-22-2003, 15:34
I wish reading and posting on this board were a paying job :( . Oh well. I like the idea of leaving everything on the motor in place. Removing the cat to me is no biggie, but I agree that tampering with the physical motor and its various parts is tempting that fire-snorting, warranty revoking monster of General Motors. I like the idea of that setpoint increase. I was under the impression EGR was enabled only at lower RPM's? Either way, Soot bad, clean air good. Thanks. And yes, that light is getting much, much brighter.

Ty

DMAX Daddy
07-22-2003, 16:12
I will probably soon be yanking the Cat off, but Banks wont sell me the replacement piece. Maybe if I tell them I dont have one...

XLR8 2 DMAX
07-22-2003, 16:38
I replaced my CAT with a "turbo downpipe" made by Dynomax. It bolted right up. It cost $160.00
Here is the link to where I purchased it.

rpm outlet (http://www.rpmoutlet.com/duraexhaust.htm)

Kennedy
07-23-2003, 08:13
Suffice to say, it CAN be done, it is a drive in only service at this time, and as Schultz says: "I know noth-thing!"

ndamico
07-23-2003, 20:24
Dmax Daddy,

If you want a replacement pipe for the cat from banks drop me an email. i bought 2 of them from them, and i live in CA. they just won't install it for you. but seriously, if they won't sell you one i can get you one from them no problem.

my cat has been sitting in my backyard since i got the banks.