PDA

View Full Version : California Catalytic

BobW
12-27-2002, 00:43
I have a 2002 Calif Duramax with the catalytic converter. I'll be moving to South Dakota with no smog requirements/inspections. Can I remove the cat? Anything related to it - computer programming, etc that needs to be considered?

mackin
12-28-2002, 22:28
I believe legally you cannot tamper with....If truck were to be sold then it would have to comply with vin as according to Emission standard as delivered....Wether it's Fed, North East,Calif,ETC...

Would I hack it off???? You betcha....Would of have been done all ready....Just save it.....

MAC :D

Oongawah
12-29-2002, 11:31
No hackin' necessary on these systems. The only problem is storing the old anaconda for street use/sale.

Oldtimer
01-01-2003, 17:31
I think the answer I heard is that the cat can be removed without alerting the on-board memory, but this remainders the question of what to replace the unit with, and where to get it. Anybody there who can clarify for us?

mackin
01-01-2003, 18:32
You would either have to go with a complete After market system non cat year, down pipe back,as most would sell your year with cat back systems,only....
Getting a garage or muffler shop to alter would probably be against the law....
The only other option is if you could find a piece of straight pipe and some adapters and clamp or better yet weld....

MAC

tpitt
01-01-2003, 20:32
BobW,
All you need is a downpipe from a non cat p/u. 2001 Ca. or out of state vehicle. I actually have an extra. tpitt.