PDA

View Full Version : Break-in tips

SSWEBARRICK
12-27-2002, 19:37
I'm a first time diesel owner and looking for some tips onm the break in period. Any tips??

BROKERS
12-27-2002, 21:32
Drive it! ? Change the oil as per manufacturer specs.In my opinion a D is not broken in until 30,000mi.Watch your fuel milage and you will see. :cool:

White Knight
12-28-2002, 06:56
SSWEBARRICK, if you have the Eaton locker rear end, you need to take it easy for the first 500 miles and also not tow during that period. Eaton recommends a gentle break-in to allow the gears to lap in. At about 500 miles, you should change the fluid in the rear end. No need to go to GM for their Grape Juice.

I also believe in an engine oil change after the first 500 miles and every 3000 miles thereafter. I use the GM oil filter, but shop around for the best dealer price. I have found quite a variation in price from dealer to dealer. You should change the fuel filter at 15,000 miles. I also changed the Allison external, screw on filter at about 10,000 miles.

There is a lot of good information in the archives.

Drive and enjoy!

TraceF
12-28-2002, 08:46
I agree with the recommendation on the rear axle. Here is some lube info:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004749

IndigoDually
12-28-2002, 10:19
Look for an Allison shop to get your trans filter and look at DP Advertisers for the Racor fuel filters. Dealer charges an arm and a leg for them, other outlets are a lot cheaper for same items.

Don't tow for 500 mi. with the Eaton, when you tow for the first time the friction material from the locker will darken the oil. I changed mine at 1000 mi. then again at 5000. The oil was dark again, and don't forget about changing the front diff to synthetic after some use.

Good Luck, John

Stage 1
12-28-2002, 11:52
There have been several previous posts on this subject, a search will provide you w/excellent reference material. Just did the break-in for new truck. In summary, no idling for first initial miles untill you have worked the engine. At 700 miles worked the engine via tow of 13K pound enclosed trailer for 2,000 miles, including mountains. Working/loading the engine to break it in is highly recommended by several experts. Their were several warnings against 7-11 trips ( during breakin) and general highway driving for engine break-in (after 500 miles).

Noticed a difference in power after working /loading engine. The truck now accelerates a lot faster. Feels a little more like 300 HP.

For the rear end, I did the extreme per recommendations provided in this forum. At the initial 15, 30, and 45 miles I stopped the truck to let the rear end cool for 15 minutes, also did the same for the first 15, 30, and 45 miles I towed. Changed the rear fluid at 500 miles and after the first tow. :D