PDA

View Full Version : What chip/add-on is best for MPG?

Donn Downey
10-10-2005, 13:27
My 2003 3500 got about 15-17 with the dually pickup bed. I put on a dump body (big headboard- terrible aerodynamics) and now I float around 9-11 mpg. I'm trying to figure out what performance chip (or any other product) will give me the best bang for the buck in terms of fuel economy. I don't care much about horsepower, torque, or smoking my tires- I tow a couple 10-12,000# trailers, and the stock power is more than adequate. any ideas? thanks for any feedback-

sljolley
10-10-2005, 14:34
I would go with the van Aaken SmartBox E. It has three positions from 50 to 110 or a hot version with 150 HP. They have been around along time and have great customer service also.

Inspector
10-10-2005, 16:16
We took the fiver down to St,George Ut over the weekend and on the trip down, I should say up and down, I got 13.2 mpg. On the way back solo I got close to 19. I do have the edge with attitude set on 1. I figured the milage on the fill and milage driven. I have been told not to believe the DIC readout. I am rather pleased.
The fiver weights in at around 12500 empty and we didn't have to much on board a generator, small aircompressor and the full cover.
Denny

Inspector
10-10-2005, 16:18
Forgot to say that I drove at 65mph down and 70 back.
Denny

Kennedy
10-10-2005, 19:57
Very seldom have I seen any quantifiable major MPG gains from a chip. It'spossible, and the old VA "soft" tunes may give best shot at this, but I think a guy would be hard pressed to run the same course back to back with and without a chip and show any whole number MPG gains. I always say modify for power and if the mpg gains come, then BONUS!

markrinker
10-11-2005, 04:23
My plan is to eventually open up the exhaust and intake, increase boost with a boost stick.

Anything you can do to reduce drag - tires, trailer profile, etc. will buy you solid results.

Mark Craig
10-11-2005, 06:35
Donn Downey,

It's going to be hard to get MPG with the dump bed and rack no matter what you do, 1st thing is get some air in and out of the engine with an intake and exhaust. The weights you tow will need the air in and out before you add a module or programmer to keep EGT's down and to make the best use of the added fuel etc. Look at the van Aakens it does have the best feedback from our customers for MPG gains. The other thing is you'll need gauges to monitor EGT, so the Edge Juice Attitude might be a better buy for you as it has the gauges built into it and the install is lots easier too than a set of mechanical gauges will be. We get feedback from customers that get 0 MPG gains with a module and all the way to 3 MPH etc, it has a lot to do with th edriver and the way the truck is used. Give us a call if you want, we'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Mark @ DPPI

More Power
10-11-2005, 11:35
My thoughts.... Increasing power rarely produces a fuel economy increase - largely because of the driver. Power corrupts - absolute power corrupts absolutely.... :D

That said, it's somewhat easy to see a mileage gain while towing - because the truck drops out of overdrive a lot less often. Being able to stay in OD results in less fuel used overall, assuming you're towing at a reasonable speed.

Lastly, using a power adder and running with the cruise control can actually reduce fuel economy when running unloaded. A power adder can cause the cruise control to overshoot/undershoot way too much, which wastes fuel. I typically run without additional power while cruising empty because of that. Cruise control is a lot smoother while running empty with stock power. Overshoot/undershoot while using cruise control isn't noticeable while towing.

Jim

Kennedy
10-12-2005, 05:11
The Van Aaken for the LLY also messes with the DIC calculation the most. The Edge barely alters it if at all depending on use. This DIC error fools a lot of people into thinking they gained huge MPG. I quit arguing as it makes me out to be the unbelieving ******* bad guy...

JD Diesel
10-12-2005, 10:13
Hothing beat the paper trail methood. JD tongue.gif

Donn Downey
10-12-2005, 14:29
many thanks to all. i guess i'll start with intake/exhaust and see what happens- maybe try a chip next. but i definitly got the point- i wont see any noticeable gains until i drop the dump body! oh well- might as well enjoy some extra power if its there for the taking. thanks again-

rickdlance
10-15-2005, 11:21
We've had good luck with the Edge EZ and a Vararam air box.