PDA

View Full Version : Duramax/Allison in '72 C-10

Bob in Dallas
10-10-2005, 18:16
A friend and I are in process of installing a '03 LB7 and Allison Trans into a 1972 C-10. We have the cab and bed off and have boxed the frame on the inside from in front of the front suspension to the rear of the cab to add required strength. Engine and trans are mounted and we have the required wiring in place.

We have one problem, and we believe it to be related to a security code problem or a problem between the computers. The engine and trans computers are from different vehicles, so they have different VIN numbers, as verified with a Tech 2 Scan tool. The engine will start, run for about 2 seconds, then shut down. It will not attempt to start again if you continue holding the key in start position. Cycle the key off, and it will fire again for the same short time.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the security codes and if identical VIN #'s are required?

We are very close after about 6 months of work. We want to get the engine running reliably before we put the cab and fenders on because the Duramax sure fills the engine room and its sure easier to work on out in the open.

markrinker
10-11-2005, 07:36
Very cool project! Can you post some pictures?

More Power
10-11-2005, 11:43
You'll need to perform the "Password Learn" procedure - to get your ECM acquainted with the BCM and Passlock II code. You'll also need to use an ignition keylock assembly with a Passlock II sensor.

Assuming you have the required modules and ignition lock assy, you can perform the 30 minute learn procedure in your driveway or for a quicker method, use a Tech II scan tool.

Jim

Steve Rapp
10-11-2005, 18:20
Why a half ton truck?

madmatt
10-12-2005, 11:36
I've got a 3116 in a 4wd 70 chevy "half-ton" truck. Even though mine in no longer a true half ton, when it was, it handled loads much better then todays 1/2 ton trucks.

Bob in Dallas
10-19-2005, 11:26
Let's assume I don't have all of the modules (we are trying to not use the BCM)and passcode key switch, is there a way to determine the signal generated by the Passcode switch?

If I have to we can go into the computer and try to find the Pass Code location and force it to a "Good" all of the time.