PDA

View Full Version : Engine longevity with Juice reduced?

FrozenAKJoe
12-28-2002, 01:48
I see a lot of posts boasting of the power gains after installing the Edge Juice, but I was wondering: Are you people who run this box at all worried about decreasing the life expectancy of your Dmax by doing so? Is this a valid concern on my part, or am I being a worry-wort?

I justified the expense of my truck by virtue of its longevity over my gasser. I'm inclined to run out and get some gauges and throw in the Juice, but I don't want to sacrifice 100,000 miles of longevity to do it.

Any advise would be appreciated. I haven't been able to get a straight answer to this question in the past.

motovet
12-28-2002, 02:54
It may, but it very well could add years to your life because happiness is healthy! I asked this question back when and so has just about everyone else. Runs hotter yes, but pulls a taller gear in all situations. No one knows yet,but there's quite a few of us putting it to the test. I see your a towin man...you MUST join the ranks!

[ 12-28-2002: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

sdaver
12-28-2002, 21:49
23K AND STILL GOING... JUICE INSTALLED AT 500 MILES....TIME WILL TELL.........IT DEFINITELY HAS A IMPACT ON YOUR TIRES JUST INSTALLED MY SECOND SET :D DAVE

mackin
12-28-2002, 22:19
FrozenAKJoe

I think it's moderation, there's nothing wrong with having some stop light fun or an occasional dyno run, but I think that if your heading to the track every Saturday to compete, or smoking the tires off of every launch, question then becomes how long TILL it breaks....

I would think running any performance mod at moderate settings is just giving you a one up scenario similar to what GM will do in the next couple years....They won't reinvent the wheel so to speak....This is the electronic age and there is room in the D/A combo....Just DO IT !!!!

MAC smile.gif

motovet
12-29-2002, 03:08
There are also some guys out there who have been pulling mega loads with the Juice....Maverick comes to mind,and He's got some miles on that puppy to.

WKener
12-29-2002, 18:01
Sometimes you hear all kinds of foolishness from people who say 'turning up' XXX brand engine won't hurt it at all, but you should know better than that. Engines nowadays are built solidly and I believe they can handle the extra power, but the candle which burns the hottest, burns the quickest. There is really no way to get around it.

I think Mackin has the right idea, that if used in moderation these upgrades should not effect longevity too severely. I have seen many well-maintained, high-horespower trucks outlast stockers with less than adequate maintenance... So it's all up to you ;)

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-29-2002, 21:46
----&gt;&gt;&gt; I believe that the more power you make the easier it is on your truck.If I had to constantly mash the pedal and cause a downshift and revv the P**S out of my motor I would think that is more damaging than an engine that has ample power.

Just because I have close to 365-380 HP at the wheels does not mean I have to hammer the go-pedal 24/7!!!!

I drive my truck the same juiced on L4 or stock. I will say that the truck runs smoother and better even on L1 or L2 "HOT" than stock. It runs hotter but it isn't that much hotter and I have a stock 3 1/2 inch exhaust.

Just buy a box, or borrow one and you won't want to give it back.

GMC