PDA

View Full Version : JP-8 ...... The universal fuel??

56Nomad
04-06-2003, 01:03
JP-8 ...... The universal fuel??

http://www.swri.edu/4org/d02/Abstracts/ir352abstract.pdf

"Army policy now dictates JP-8 as the single fuel on the battlefield.
This policy simplifies fuel logistics, and permits refueling helicopters
in the forward battle area. Diesel (compression ignition, or CI) and
gas turbine engines that are normally fueled with commercial diesel
fuels can generally burn JP-8. JP-8 also provides fire resistance
comparable to diesel fuel. Diesel engine fuel economy, and the
safety of diesel fuel over gasoline, are the factors that originally
led the Army to adopt a diesel-powered ground vehicle fleet"

Does anyone know if JP-8 will be made available for non military use? On the radio
today, they said it was much less expensive
than diesel fuel.

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2003, 01:12
JP-8 is 98% kerosene with some additives to aid in corosion prevention, lubrication, atomization and temp. fluctuations. It has less btu's than diesel, therefore, less power and economy. Ideal for the military, but not for the masses. It is more costly than diesel.

a64pilot
04-07-2003, 06:17
Nomad,
I believe that JP-8 is very similar to winter grade Diesel

Crew Chief
04-07-2003, 10:27
The reason the Military can run it at a cheaper cost is supply and demand. Every aircraft the Air Force operates uses JP-8. The Army is in the same boat. The big switch from JP-4 to JP-8 happened in the 90's. JP-8 is safer and burns cleaner than JP-4 did, it makes Crew Chief's happy! JP-4 was the ticket for Diesels though, that's all we ran in Alaska in the winter months.

TexasMax
04-07-2003, 14:22
Crew Chief, you sure that all the Air Force planes changed over? I'm pretty sure that the U-2 that I was Crew Chief of was still using JPTS in the early 90s. It might have changed since then. You need to have really good anti-jelling properties at the altitudes it flew.

[ 04-07-2003: Message edited by: TexasMax ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
04-07-2003, 14:53
Well 99.9% of Seabee equipment in the sandbox is JP8. Im pretty sure all the Marine equipment is, as well as the Army stuff.

I dont know about the airplanes, but I think they are they ones that started this initiative.

Its a lot easier having everything running off of JP8 then having MOGAS, DF2, JP4, JP5, and JP8.

a64pilot
04-08-2003, 06:09
Bet the navy still uses JP5 on their Carriers. They would not let us on without having burned two bags of JP5. (JP5 has a much higher flash point I believe)
For those of you wondering, I wouldn't burn jet fuel in a Dmax. Would run fine but I wonder how well it lubricates long time.

Allison Jettester
04-08-2003, 08:10
FYI - Excerpt From:
MIL-DTL-5624T
DETAIL SPECIFICATION
TURBINE FUEL, AVIATION,
GRADES JP-4, JP-5, AND JP-5/JP-8 ST

6.1 Intended use. The JP-4 and JP-5 fuels covered by this specification are intended for use in aircraft turbine
engines. These fuels require military unique additives that are necessary in military weapon systems. This
requirement is unique to military aircraft, engine designs, and missions. Additionally, JP-5 is a military unique
fuel because it must have a flash point substantially higher than commercial aviation turbine fuels. It is stored in
large quantities on aircraft carriers and other vessels. The flash point is for safety in these military unique
applications. The JP-5/JP-8 ST (special test) fuel is a worst-case kerosene-type aviation turbine fuel in terms of
fuel effects on engine starting, altitude relight, combustor durability, and exhaust smoke emissions. This fuel is
intended for use in the development, testing, and qualification of engine components, engines, and aircraft. When
authorized, the JP-5/JP-8 ST fuel may also be used for qualification testing of ground-based turbine engines.

MIL-DTL-83133E
DETAIL SPECIFICATION
TURBINE FUELS, AVIATION, KEROSENE TYPES,
NATO F-34 (JP-8), NATO F-35, AND JP-8+100

6.1 Intended use. The fuels covered by this specification are intended for use in aircraft turbine engines. JP-8
contains military unique additives that are required by military weapon systems. This requirement is unique to
military aircraft and engine designs. When authorized, NATO F-34 (JP -8) may be used in ground - based turbine
and diesel engines. NATO F-35 is intended for commercial aviation, but can be converted to NATO F-34 (JP-8)
by the addition of the appropriate additives. A JP-5/JP-8 ST (special test) fuel, included in MIL-DTL -5624, is
intended for use in the development and qualification testing of engines and aircraft designed to operate with JP-5
and JP-8.

Hope this helps

[ 04-08-2003: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

Jelisfc
04-09-2003, 10:28
The only caution my unit was given is if you use JP8 in a vehicle that has a lot of miles running #2 the JP8 will flush the system and be prepared to change your fuel filters. Personally I've never had a problem with low pressure engines. Unconfirmed but I was told Ft. McCoy WI was running a soy blend too at one time.

Crew Chief
04-12-2003, 01:58
TexasMax, the U-2 may be the only thing that didn't convert over. After the SR-71 was phased out all the T-Modle 135's went back to a conventional role. I didn't even think about the U-2. Even if it didn't convert the amount they burn compared to the rest of the fleet would barely register. I know when we converted on C-141's we had a lot of problems with engine starts due to the high flash point of JP-8 compared to JP-4. Our fix was to not turn on the ignition until 20% N1 instead of 15%. Pratt and Whitney designed a new fuel nozzle to fix the problem, but of course the Air Force did not purchase it.