PDA

View Full Version : engine/oil leak

seedsfarmmer
12-29-2002, 18:14
42000 miles and I've got a small annoying problem, small drips of oil on my (was spotless) garage floor. I can't seem to find the leak. It is engine oil (not tranny). Any ideas. The spots are the size of a fifty cent piece, over a 7-day period have 3 of them (what are the chances of parking in the same spot all 7 days), soaked into the floor, clean oil (not black). No signs on the motor or rear seals that I can see . Any ideas? Wait for more? I hate oil leaks. If detacted, is this covered under warrenty? Thanks for your help. :confused:

rtquig
12-29-2002, 18:18
Have you looked at the front bottom of the engine where there is a breathing vent tube? My vent has some oil that comes out there and makes a mess of the wires around it.

mackin
12-29-2002, 18:27
seedsfarmmer

If you can't visually see it, then the dealer can put a dye in the oil and check for source with a black light, as the dripping running oil will glow.....

If your in the 36000 mile warranty period, yes it's covered.....

If not, they do sell a kit, I have a link some where, to do this yourself.....

MAC

BigLakeDMAX
12-29-2002, 20:46
I agree with rtquig - check the atmospheric breather - its an OD green tube that terminates along the right (passenger) side of the harmonic balancer/main pulley pointing straight down. My truck blows oil vapor out of this tube onto nearby wires, but not enough to drip on floor - but I only have 6000 miles so far.

Oongawah
12-29-2002, 21:39
Did you have an oil change recently? If I was to have a leak in my engine it would be black spots for sure. If you had an oil change lately, then they may have spilled some from the filter while installing it if they prefilled it. Just a thought, Chuck.

polaris800
12-30-2002, 06:30
I had a 2001 that leaked oil from the top rear of the oil pan. Dealers tried to fix this problem several times until I lemon law the vehicle. THATS BAD! hope you dont have the same problem.

12-30-2002, 06:43
On the front drivers side of the engine the oil pressure sender is located. Just below that is the reliefe valve spring cap. It has a copper washer as a seal. My 2002 leaked a very small amount there. Needed a small amount of tightening and it stoped. May be the source of your problem.

IndigoDually
12-30-2002, 06:47
1822, Off Topic but, do You get any rubbing between the duals when loaded with the 235's? My stock tires rub unless they are aired all the way up.

Thanks, John

DURA-MAX3
12-30-2002, 18:36
I thought i had a leak the other day and upon closer examination i discovered that the breather vent tube is about 8" to short. I guess gm is saving money on hoses this year. I put a "T" in the tube and added another piece of hose and corrected the problem. It had leaked oil all over the 4-wheel drive actuater and looked very scarey at first. But it still ****es me off that they can't do things right at the factory, it's only a 43,0000 dollar truck....

mackin
12-30-2002, 20:13
SeedsFarmer

There is a TSB Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-023
Minor imperfections in the engine block machined surfaces at the oil cooler interface may allow oil seepage past the oil cooler 0-rings.

MAC

Oil leaks are under warranty (100k) best let the dealer diagnose and repair....

Kiwi1
12-31-2002, 17:14
I had the same annoying oil drip on the floor inside where the right front tire sat. This was in the first 2K miles and I was quite torqued off at first. Turned out to be a seal (o-ring I suspect) around the breather tube that was not sitting right. This was replaced by the dealer and I've not had a drop of oil on the floor since, with 33K now on the clock. The only downside was hearing the mechanic complain how awkward this was to get at and the amount of time he took to make the repairs. I hope your oil leak will be as simple to correct.

imported_
01-01-2003, 08:37
Are you sure it's not PS fluid instead of oil?
The motor oil in mine is always black,the next
day after a change.

seedsfarmmer
01-01-2003, 09:47
:cool: Think I got it. THanks to everyone that offered suggestions. I think it was the seal on the oil pan plug. When changing the oil, there was a drip sitting on the end of the plug-screw. Up on closer inspection the seal had a scratch through it. I replaced the plug and seal. There was a small amount of yuck build up on the pan around the plug. Got it all cleaned up and I'll be watching it to ensure it was the problem. No other oily yucky spot on the motor. By the way, my trk came with out a plate under the oil pan. When I've check the pan before, no yuck. Again, thanks to all of your help and HAPPY NEW YEAR ! smile.gif :D