PDA

View Full Version : Juice/Attitude, towing, and EGTs

Rollingon
01-23-2005, 19:09
The Duramax engine is capable of producing huge amounts of horsepower, and it

More Power
01-24-2005, 08:20
Rollingon, Thank you for your insightful look at EGT. We've learned that the new LLY will generate 1400 degrees completely stock when running in our annual Pull-Off (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff04.htm) event, whereas the stock LB7 generates approximately 1250 or a little more under identical conditions. Due to the excellent cooling ability of the Duramax and its piston oil spray cooling, this engine doesn't appear to be as touchy about high EGT as some diesel engines. I've heard of as high as 2000 degrees during competition runs, though that's well past the scary range.

1250-1300 is not a problem for the time it takes to pull the longest and steepest grade in the US, while towing any rated load.

MP

SDakDmax
01-24-2005, 17:01
Are you running a stock exhaust? How about the intake? Thanks for your test, very interesting.

Rollingon
01-25-2005, 17:45
C. Schroeder -- I have an Amsoil air filter and an Allied exhaust system. Actually 3/4th of a system, it's still stock from the engine back to the flange under the passenger's seat. I had this BJ (before Juice) and didn't notice any performance improvement, but supposedly it's important with a box. Maybe with this modest power increase all that's necessary is a muffler replacement.

SDakDmax
01-26-2005, 15:01
I've thought of just changing the muffler, as I will only run on the lower levels for towing. I understand that is the greatest restriction. I wonder if that has been tested. Maybe I need to change it all and be done with it. thanks for the reply

Rollingon
01-28-2005, 14:10
I've got a 2 year old Banks test report that says that exhaust pressure from 3.7 psi stock to 0.7 psi with the Stinger exhaust system. Also, it says in the muffler alone, flow increased from 310 to 934 cfm.

SDakDmax
01-30-2005, 19:17
Interesting! I wonder if anyone has done a test on the exhaust temp. change after a muffler change only? Thanks for the info...

Rollingon
02-02-2005, 11:00
See John Kennedy's dyno tests http://www.kennedydiesel.com/photogal/pages/4-5exhaust.htm