PDA

View Full Version : hypertech for the d-max

dmaxalliTech
04-07-2003, 15:15
Hey all, check this out and see what you think.
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/duramax.html
I have found one for 389.00 through the local AutoZone. IIRC, Hypertech does tire size also?

Roofer
04-07-2003, 16:16
truckperformance.com has them for $350. It sounds like a good way to get some more power out of the Dmax for a decent price.

Roofer
04-07-2003, 16:24
Yes it does recal. for tire size, but not gear ratios or a few other things.
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/gmfeaturechart.html

mackin
04-07-2003, 16:51
Does it have a Zero mode ?? In other words stock power only ??

Real cheap....

MAC :confused:

RWHP
04-07-2003, 17:14
WoW,

Finaly a programmer that does not cost $800.00 for the Dmax.

I wonder why this is the first we hear of this product being released. Apparently it has been out for a while now.

Just checked with a friend he can get one for $314.99, Way less than 1/2 the price of Juice box, and seems to be everything I need for towing.

dmaxalliTech
04-07-2003, 17:54
One of my customers called me today and said "Hey, check this out"..Sounds like I am gonna order one soon. If anybody has cheap source for them that I can purchase over internet, let me know. Not sure about a 'zero' mode.....Might have to get one and play with it..

GMCTRUCK
04-07-2003, 17:58
Doesn't claim to dump the speed limiter. I'm waiting for a reply from Hypertech as to exactly what it does.

dmaxalliTech
04-07-2003, 18:00
GMC, let us know what they tell you, I cant expect it to be a wonder drug at that price, but who knows.....It might be a low budget starting point, interesting to find out if its stackable etc..

Kennedy
04-07-2003, 18:01
Time will tell, but I believe the old addage will still hold true: "You get what you pay for"

Edge has set the bar pretty high. Diablo is making great strides to catch up. IMHO, Hypertech is an "also ran"...

DMAX_Phil
04-07-2003, 19:17
Well, for that amount of money ($320), I will try it. Interesting that they squeeze out 150 ft/lbs. for the Dmax but only 108 for the Powerstroke 7.3L.

If anyone finds a cheaper price, please let us know.

Phil B.

TN farmer
04-07-2003, 19:55
I talked to Hypertech last week and even offered my truck for some test runs but they said it was going to be a little while before they would have the product ready. I hope we find out different but it sounded like they were still a couple of months away from any release. Their office is a thirty minute drive for me so I will check with them again. Robert

carnutsx2
04-07-2003, 22:42
JK has a point. In the world of Ford chips I have used a few and the Hypertech made the least amount of HP, the price was the lowest also. For and added few hundred $$$ I would rather have to much power than not enough. just thinking out loud with 90hp and 163 ft/lb torque is that produced at a lower rpm than most of the chips. By the way does anyone know how many times you can reflash a GM computer? I know I can only reflash the computer in my WRX about a 100 times before it has to be replaced.

[ 04-07-2003: Message edited by: carnutsx2 ]</p>

DMAX_Phil
04-07-2003, 23:18
Robert, that is interesting, their website makes it sound like its ready to go. Oh well, I'll wait a bit longer.

carnuts: I don't imagine the Hypertech will compete with the power levels of some of the other power boxes but it may be just what some of us are looking for - a little more power while towing. I am not looking for improved 0-60 times (I worry about this on my Harley and Triumph bikes) in my DMAX. But I am looking for a speedo recal, a programmer that doesn't have to remain installed in the truck, a reputable company and most importantly, good value (a.k.a. less than $500). I definitely see the attraction of the higher power levels and stacking features it just isn't something I need for my modest needs. Your question about reflashes is a good one. I assume the computer uses a EEPROM. If it is in the neighborhood of 100 program cycles, this could be a problem if someone liked to change the Hypertech settings often...

dmaxalliTech
04-08-2003, 00:51
JK, Darn you for bringing up what I was trying not to think about :D :D

Its gonna be one of those things we just have to try. its a good stepping point to the Juice, which is the industry standard for the D-max perfomance parts. I think the thing that catches my eye is ability to change tire size, and if I can gain power in the process, whats to loose. If I buy it and dont like it, there is always Ebay.

chuntag95
04-08-2003, 08:38
dmaxalli Tech,

I thought I read somewhere that the Hypertech was Vin specific like the Predator.

Kennedy
04-08-2003, 08:55
Torque :rolleyes:

Oongawah
04-08-2003, 23:30
Those testimonials are goofy. I've heard people make the same testimonials without mods. I've never heard anyone say that towing was a problem stock. This truck has not been an issue when it comes to towing stock except for the non-updated 01's with the downshifting issue, but even that is not bad. I'm not satisfied with the Hypertech for the 02' Yukon. I guess I'm spoiled with the Juice. I know the Yukon is a gasser, but I strongly feel that I paid a couple hundred too much for the Hypertech. My .02 worth.

DMAX_Phil
04-08-2003, 23:50
I have to agree that the Hypertech that I used on my '98 350 didn't do a whole lot for performance. Then again, the Jet chip did pretty much nothing for a friends GM350. From what I've heard, this is pretty typical for all the modules/reprograms for the gassers. Some did report seat of the pants improvements but they seemed minimal.

I can say that my friend has the Hypertech on his Powerstroke and it really made a big difference in his pulling power. I'd expect Hypertech can reprogram the parameters for a diesel engine as well as anyone else and hopefully the numbers they present are real. Time will tell.

Phil B.

RWTD
04-09-2003, 16:03
&gt; I know I can only reflash the computer in my
&gt; WRX about a 100 times before it has to be
&gt; replaced.

Are you serious? Who found this out the hard way? If this is actually true (not doubting you at all, bud), then shame on Suburu for putting in such POS hardware.

FWIW, the pcms in the GMs and the Fords have the ability to be flashed more times than anyone could possibly do so in their lifetime. This is NOT anything at all to be worried with, so please let's not let this carry on any further than this.

Anyhoo, I want everyone to know that there will be a new revision update shortly that will add the axle/tire option. This is an "any day" situation, and my personal opinion expects this to be out next week. ;)

Plus, there is ALL NEW IMPROVED and MORE POWERFUL tunes. The defueling issues and delayed shifting are now a thing of the past. I got to test some tunes today, and I'm EXTREMELY impressed with them.

Here's how the new revision tunes will look:

1: 40 rwhp
2: 60 rwhp
3: 100 rwhp
4: stock

There *may* possibly be an additional performance tune, and if so it'll be keeping an 85 rwhp level, as well as having the 100, so possibly there will be 5 tunes to choose from. I'll find this information out by end of day tomorrow, though.

The current v1.02 revision only had 3 included tunes, which are only performance, so you aren't able to use just the stock tune with the raised speed limiter. Now, there will be an included "factory" tune, which will have the ability to set tire/axle options, and speed limiter options, as well.

In terms of pricing comparison between the different products out there, the Predator, as most already know, recently had a significant price drop. The MSRP went from $695 to $529, which allows us to sell it for an even lower OTD price (#'s can be found on my website).

As for why the price was lowered, I can't speak for their marketing department, but they had their reasons for doing such. I do feel, though, that the unit's original price was well worth the included features, since there isn't any other device that has such capabilities and options, so to be able to buy it at this new lower price is definitely an incentive for everyone to jump about the DiabloSport bandwagon smile.gif

Sincerely...

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

Kennedy
04-09-2003, 19:52
Does this Hypertech unit do scan tool/code reader functions?

Can anybody figure out the graph markings/scaling? :confused:

Not much power gain at towing rpm's. There's something to be said about a program (Edge) that runs over 600lb/ft from 1900-3000 RPM yet only claims a modest 90HP rating! :D

With the exception of a handful of tables, the Predator hits about all of the engine data tables available just like the Tech 2. The ones that it misses are suppposed to be corrected. This feature is VERY valuable for those w/o a Tech 2!

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
04-09-2003, 20:32
JK, I have thought about the predetor more and more since I see the price has come down considerably. I personally could care less about the scan tool portion of the predator since I have my own tech-2. I am really at a toss up now as to going to the predator or hypertech, the biggest reason of thinking hypertech was the abilty to correct my speedo, but if predator has the ability.....

FWIW, I have found the hypertech as low as $307 with free shipping.

Decisions, decisions, decisions......... :(

DMAX_Phil
04-09-2003, 23:02
JK: The graph is plotted in 75 unit increments. All the numbers are in about the right place but it is a screwy way of plotting.

Maybe RWTD wants to put together a group buy for the predator that offers a substantial discount below the new, reduced price (?)

Phil B.

Kennedy
04-10-2003, 07:48
duramaxallitech,

The Hypertech shows no torque where you need it! Just look at the shape of the graph. Their torque peak is way out there. Most every box that I have tested will have a 2200RPM torque peak.

Heck, most any box I've run will be 240+RWHP at 2200 RPM! I run around at 330+ @ 2200rpm :eek:

RWTD
04-10-2003, 08:24
I'm not here to downplay another companies product, but I will say that the HPP3 Duramax has NO Torque; it's all WOT only. Driving a truck with it installed felt stock until you nailed it to the floor.

Sincerely...

dmaxalliTech
04-10-2003, 10:27
All right, I went back to Hypertech page, cleaned my glasses and relooked at torque. :eek:

I got ahead of myself I guess. I prefer to have the torque power kick in before the revlimiter :D

I think I am gonna wait until RWTD comes out with ability to correct for tire size and go that route. I am still 100% sold on Juice, dont get me wrong there, but I have this itchin to correct my speedo.

JK, thanks for slapping me straight with the torque curve. I reviewed Juice dyno sheets and seen the difference smile.gif

I would be interested in going in on a group buy thing for the predator if thats a go

RWTD
04-10-2003, 18:29
Hello everyone from Salt Lake City!!! I'm up here on a "mini" vacation, but thought I'd say hello since the hotel has free high speed internet access in the room (cool!).

I wanted to just add, and do so in a friendly way, please, that there will not be any group purchases on the DiabloSport Duramax Predator per DiabloSport. I was asked to kindly post this information by the DiabloSport Sales Manager, in hopes from keeping any sort of rumors or misinformation being scattered about. The MSRP pricing can be found in my post above, and one is able to see the lowest possibly advertised price on my website at www.RunninWithTheDevil.com

Okay, everyone wish me luck attemping to snow ski for the first time in my life. I'm also going to be riding snowmobiles on Saturday, all day. smile.gif I've NEVER seen snow in mass quantities in my entire life, so it is very nice to be able to experience something that's undoubtedly going to be AWESOME!

You all have a great rest of the week, and a terrific weekend! I will return back to work on Tuesday.

Very Sincerely,

James

DMAX_Phil
04-10-2003, 21:14
RWTD: Is the problem that they just don't want to sell too many units ? :^)

carnutsx2
04-10-2003, 21:39
Runnin-This is what I found when looking for upgardes for my WRX
Q. How many times can the ECU be reflashed?

A. According to the manufacture's published specs, the stock ECU can be reflashed a minimum of 100 times. When flashing the ECU, we are able to use a method to determine the approximate "health" of the ECU. When the health of the ECU degrades to a point that it cannot be safely flashed any longer, you will be required to purchase a replacement ECU if you need to perform additional flashes.

We purchase our ECU's from Subaru the same way you can. New ECUs can be purchased through us for $495.

The car may be junk- the last one had only 200,000 miles on it befor I sold it. Im sure that Subaru has some reason for doing what they do. In the real world how many people reflash the conputer in a car over 100 times? I bet 99.99% of the people couldn't find the computer for $1000. If you ever have a chance go a take one for a test drive,it a hoot. 227hp-3000lbs and all wheel drive. And much easier to park than the crewcab.