PDA

View Full Version : 2000 rpms maximum

duramaxdual
01-24-2005, 17:33
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but plan on doing some reading in the near future on this site. In the meantime I was wondering if I could ask for some help with this power problem.

I've recently been having a lot of power loss issues with my 01 duramax. Here's the scoop truck will run great then almost die and restrict me to 2000 rpm or 30mph. Last night I changed the fuel filter again which is the second one in about 3000 miles and it ran fine again for about 100miles then it went back to it's no power ways. I turned it off for a half an hour and it worked great again until I got back home. Any suggestions? I have had injectors fail and replaced on this truck but they caused a lot of smoke and different symptons, I also have an 03 Duramax and it also has had these symptoms once before and it was cured after the fuel filter was changed.
Just wanted to check if there is something easy that I should look for before I bring it in to the dealer.

Thanks

More Power
01-24-2005, 20:52
Click HERE (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008407) for a recent discussion concerning the same topic.

MP

Kennedy
01-25-2005, 08:15
Does the air box still duct into the inner wall of the fender?

2001 models did this, and many were updated. Some of the updated ones could lose their foil faced covers and they would suck into the air box. Some 2001's with the snorkels would set codes/limp mode due to air flow issues.

duramaxdual
01-25-2005, 09:49
Thanks for the link and the advice on the air box. I'll check that out tonight. It ran perfect today no problems which scares me because I can't trust it to do any long runs.

justforme
01-25-2005, 14:30
this just happened on my 05.

it happened shortly after i got fuel. i chocked it up to bad fuel and or it gelled.

it had just warmed up to -5

i limped it home and put it in a heated garage.

i disconnected the batt's cycled the key a bunch of times and got the ses light to go out. the next day it was fine. i pumped the fuel out just to be on the safe side.

mark45678
02-28-2005, 14:49
Had the same problem on my 2001 , on long runs say over 50 + mile is would go into a 2000 rpm max mode, I think mine was a self caused problem..... I got a load of bad fuel that jelled up at +5*F, I put some heat on the filter houseing (bad idea) after I did that I ruined the primer bulb! I would leak air by and throw a code! if it wasnt the filter houseing something else caused the problem when the fuel jelled! I could get the problem to happen by towing a load up hill for about 1/4 mile and then it would fall flat on its face at 2000 rpm every time! the fuel fiter houseing was over 400.00 and the only place that had one sold it the day I had my problem!!!!! I fix it by trading it in.... its not a 2001 GMC green x cab 4x4????