PDA

View Full Version : Durmax louder at low speed/idle than highway?

Dmaxenvy
04-08-2003, 11:11
Hi All,

I finally took delivery of my long awaited Duramax Crew Cab Short Box 4WD SLT yesterday...and went for a drive. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif I like this truck!

My question is around the loudness of the Duramax. It seems to be much louder at low speed (20-30 MPH going through town, etc) and at idle than at 55 MPH (yes, I am following the break-in recomendations). Is this normal?

I have also noticed that there does not seem to be an RPM where the engine gets louder (pilot injection turns off) when I am accelerating. ??? Does all this have to do with the low miles (have not broken 100 miles...had 6 miles on it when I took delivery)??

Sorry if this topic has already been covered..I did a search and did not find the answers I am looking for.

DMaxEnvy

FirstDiesel
04-08-2003, 15:45
If your breaking it in I suspect you aren't pushing it hard. I can drive easy around town and out onto the highway and never turn off the pilot injection. Want to hear it turn off?? Go out onto the highway slowly in 2nd gear and put your foot to the floor and hold it there. About 2500-2700 RPM you'll hear the difference.

Mike Fultz
04-09-2003, 11:57
Dmaxenvy, Yep your truck sounds just like my new 03. Firstdiesel is correct, I waited until I had 1000 miles on the clock, warmed it up real good one night and took it out for a hard run down the 4 lane, and I did get the pilot injectors to cut-out and you will hear it.

Enjoy the new truck, I still smile ear to ear when I drive mine.

Mike

Dmaxenvy
04-11-2003, 21:42
Thanks guys! This is my first diesel, so didn't know exactly what to expect. I am smiling big time every time I drive the truck smile.gif Having diesel withdrawal today...my wife, the one who does not like diesel trucks, had my truck all day, go figure!

DMaxEnvy