PDA

View Full Version : Duramax capable of 500 RWHP?

TraceF
12-30-2002, 17:00
There is a lot of performance related crosstalk in The Diesel Page forums.

Why do you all think GM doesn't tune them a little hotter?

Driveability?
Service problems (keeping them running good)?
Longevity vs. the other manufacturers?
Liability?

Makes you ponder.

Maxter
12-30-2002, 18:11
One of the possible answers could be the need to be able to keep up with the competition without major engine overhaul for the next couple of years.

When you're the first to make the move, everyone that want to stay in the game must "beat you" so you need to have a little "reserve"

There's has been talks about the 2004 having a new turbo and 50hp more but I'm pretty sure that the real change will come from the ECM re-tuning.

FirstDiesel
12-30-2002, 18:11
Hey Mac

We're pondering again. Want to join in?? smile.gif

JoeyD
12-30-2002, 18:18
I would say emissions is the largest hurdle in making that much power available from the factory.

dieselburb
12-30-2002, 22:35
Okay, I'll bite. Why is it called taking a dump? You're not really taking anywhere, are you? It might make you ponder smile.gif

RWTD
12-30-2002, 22:54
Why do drive up ATM's have braille on them?

If the Internet is really FREE, then why do we have to pay to use it?

Why does Waffle House have locks on their doors?

If GM dropped the GMC moniker, would Chevy's sells increase?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm"...

Oongawah
12-30-2002, 23:57
Plus, and then not only that.

bearman
12-31-2002, 00:17
Ok guys, step away from drugs :D :D tongue.gif
Cheers
Bear

blue
12-31-2002, 02:30
No way it is making 500rwhp for any length of time until/unless a TRUE TOTAL FIX for the Allison SuperSlippage transmission comes along.

With my Juice 3.5c + PowerPlay, OR Juice updated to 4.61 Hot Juice without PowerPlay, once power is above about 400 wheel hp or about 90-94mph quartermiles, slip sometimes gets bad and there is LITTLE POINT to trying to make more hp, except sometimes you are lucky and catch the trans at a time it feels like holding.

Longterm that slippage will wear the trans out. The powerdown feature is fine but I've seen loss of 3-4mph in quartermile in 3 passes due to slip, and it FEELS like it is worse than that.

We need a trans valvebody/linepressure and lockup torque converter FIX. I was hoping this Predator would allow trans line pressure adjustment but no joy there, it seems.
John Kennedy is on top of this but last we spoke, seems like the reflash and torque converter mod still slip sometimes...I don't want to spend that money until the money really fixes the slip.

hoot
12-31-2002, 07:48
I don't think you can say TOTAL FIX cause the Allison ain't broke.

You mean upgrade to handle more power than it is designed to handle stock.

bluenote
12-31-2002, 08:17
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the target consumer for the Duramax is one who intends to use the truck for towing and hauling purposes. The stock engine/tranny combo is capable of doing that quite well up to the maximum rated weight capacities. Furthermore, the stock truck is surprisingly fast for a vehicle that weighs 7K or more. If you intend to race the truck, then you should be prepared to find upgrades or work-arounds to achieve your goals. If you intend to use the truck for it's intended purpose, then you don't need to do anything (unless you want a modest boost through chipping/reprogramming that doesn't cause the Allison problems).

Jelisfc
12-31-2002, 09:12
TraceF, Ah Grasshopper...you ask the age old question. Only once you become one with your Dmax will you be at ease that it has enough power smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]</p>

sdaver
12-31-2002, 09:29
yes, right up to the time you are beside your juiced buddie at the red light.......... :D dave

Burner
12-31-2002, 10:21
David,

I have had one heck of a day. I hadn't even cracked a smile till I read your post. Was was laughing my tail off and now I'm just grinn'n. :D :D :D

Burner~~~~~~

RWTD
12-31-2002, 10:51
Try a tuner, and you will own one for life!

Then you will realize that there never is enough power from the factory!

addicted to coffee
12-31-2002, 12:07
You guys have me chompin' at the bit for a new truck.

I'll have to create a new topic to get all of the good advice.

Heartbeat Hauler
12-31-2002, 13:16
No such thing as "enough" power.
I want my DMAX to have so much power that when I'm towing my trailer up & down the hills of W.Va. it never shifts out of overdirve. That will keep me happy for about a week. ;)
JP

MountainMax
12-31-2002, 13:45
When you're in a theater, which armrest is yours?

FWIW- Just got juiced. Not the hot Juice. Had to take a 16' lowboy twin axle trailer back to a friends house. I'm at a light with a kid in an almost new Mustang with obviously nonstock exhaust and one of those rpm guages big enough for old folks to read. For grins I punch it. I jump forward and hear him peel out in first. Then second. And again in third. He overtook me in third and I shut it down at 60. MMMmmmmm wonder how I'd done if I wasn't pulling the trailer? My wife didn't understand. I was mainly grinning because I could see this kid at the pro shop counter wondering how a diesel with a trailer had taken so long to catch. :D :D :D :D

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: MountainMax ]</p>

NWDmax
12-31-2002, 15:47
Mountainmax,thats a funny story.What do you think he'd have done when you kicked his a-- with no trailer behind.
A 7000Lb truck rippin up a "sports" car,I love it.
Blake tongue.gif

Jelisfc
01-02-2003, 08:14
MontainMax, too bad Dodge already has done that commercial with the Hemi. LOL.

SoCalDMAX
01-02-2003, 12:46
Well,

To answer the original question, when the Dmax was designed, the closest competitor was only about 275hp. GM didn't need to tip their entire hand at once. They still need to have some room for improvements to keep people coming back year after year, sweeten the pot a little. They did a great job of designing an engine/tranny combo capable of a lot more potential than stock.

I have to agree with Dave and all those who said there's never enough power. ;)

I've towed thru the mountains a few times (don't know the % grade, but motorhomes and other diesels were struggling at 40-55mph). I much prefer to maintain 60-65mph uphill in 5th, she cruises nicely (and quietly) at that speed. I'm estimating it takes 350-360rwhp (Juice level 2 and propane) to do it with my trailer, with a little reserve power to pass at 70-75mph.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much to pass on uphill portions, but I don't like to spend a lot of time in the other lane trying to pass.

The engine is capable of a lot more power and again, I agree with all those who are looking for an Allison upgrade. I have to carefully feather the throttle on a steep hill or it will go into limp mode and set a code. THAT'LL slow you down a little!

I'm watching the ATS site closely for more info on upgrading the Allison, I'd sure like to be able to use all of the power she makes, even when towing!

Regards, Steve

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

MountainMax
01-03-2003, 08:32
Yeah, too bad I didn't have a 69 Hemi Charger in the trailer behind me. But alas, it was empty. It was fun though to jump out ahead for a few moments and hear him get rubber three times before I saw him through the passenger window.

D-max Man
01-03-2003, 10:59
Yes, it can make 500 RWHP but how long will it last at that HP?
GM de-tunes this engine for 2 reasons, emissions and durability. There is always a trade off. If you want more power, you will loose durability.