PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 miles!

conradv
04-08-2003, 15:12
10,000 miles on my 2003 GMC Duramax! Averaging about 62 miles per day.

Only problem is the computer glitch with the "service 4wd" Wonder when GM is going to come up with a fix - My dealer said he has 5 other ones waiting along with mine...

Burner
04-08-2003, 17:10
Conrad,

I just turned over 10k. I rolled past the marker last Saturday. I have the same "switch" problem as you. When did you get your truck, the end of November?

Burner-----> :D :D

dmaxalliTech
04-08-2003, 20:09
My truck also just rolled the 10k mark....As a matter of fact, it was on the way to the hospital Monday night. Wife decided it was time to have the baby. Anyways, as far as the 4x4 problem goes. GM says approx 6 weeks for updated encoder to correct, I would say the first of June.

Silver Bullet
04-08-2003, 20:21
I turned 40K as I pulled into the driveway this evening...all is well. :D

Nixter
04-08-2003, 22:28
Dmaxallitech,
I have an 03 with the pushbutton 4x4 bug. I was told at the dealership that they would soon have a new encoder motor available that would solve the problem. My service writer set me up with a tenative appointment on 4-28 contingent upon the receipt of said part. Then from the HD powertrain forum I was lead to believe that the underlying problem is a software glitch that would be fixable with a re-flash eventually when it was available. Could my problem be different then the one discussed on this thread? Was I recieving misinformation from my dealership? Are there two fixes for the same problem? If so, is one preferable to the other? I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Everybody with the 03 pushbutton 4x4 bug,
Mine began with the "service 4WD" message on the DIC. Then the lights on the buttons went haywire, and would seem to change at random. I drove it for a while in that condition. Then one day I heard what seemed to be some gear grinding going on from what I assumed to be the transfer case. Not a constant sound, just occasional. I opted to pull the fuse out to totally deacitivate the system, and haven't heard the noise since. The fuse was located in the main fuse box under the hood, in the row closest to the drivers side, and second from the firewall. It was a green 30 amp fuse. I just thought somebody else might like to do the same.--Nick

Oongawah
04-08-2003, 22:50
Good suggestion Nixter.

Just turned 36K no probs here.

K1XV
04-09-2003, 05:18
Nixter, my 4wd lights went similar to yours, but I never actually had anything happen at the transfer case itself. My service dealer replaced the encoder motor, and I have not had trouble since, but certainly before the warranty expires (I got an extended warranty because with the 2003 new wiring harness, I thought there might be some glitches) I want to get everything upgraded and updated.

I notice you are from Alaska. My problem first occurred with weather in the 0 degree F range, and from other threads I have heard it suggested that cold weather was in some way related to this problem.

Husker Fan
04-09-2003, 07:25
12,000 Miles on an '03, ready to take a 1,800 + mile trip pulling my fltabed trailer to pick up around 10,000 #s in equipment. Absolutely NO problems, truck is a gem. 4 WD works great, just used it yesterday!

Bulldogger
04-09-2003, 07:46
Dmaxallitech, first things first, congrats on the new baby!! for the rest my 2003 dually on the first tow home from Florida popped the service 4wd warning light right at 1000 miles. Called on-star no problem found. All three lights lit on the electronic 4wd buttons. Pulled fuse on the dash side panel of truck, which turned all the 4 wheel shifter lights off. Towed another 500 miles light never came back on. Dropped to Dealer who found no problem but did a reflash, for what I considered a lack of power.Truck has another 1500 miles since, and code has not come back on .As far as the power reflash don't ask haven't towed since then. Next tow is next week and truck now has dual exhaust amsoil air filter and juice. Dave also when code popped originally it was in the 30 degree temp area.

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: Bulldogger ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
04-09-2003, 21:13
Bulldogger, thanks. You dont relize how much you can love something until you have a baby smile.gif smile.gif

Ok, no more mush, I promise. As far as the service 4wd lights go.... The code I have been pulling on these, for which there is no fix at this time is c0327. Which is an encoder motor fault. I have replaced encoders on two trucks (03) before I found the tsb that says to not attempt repair, opps. Niether of these trucks have returned with trouble. As far as an upcomming fix goes, I am under the impression its a new encoder. I havent heard of the reflash but its possible. Fortunatly, Mine has not had a lick of trouble, except for the front bumper facia that was weaker then the snow bank. ;)

Texas Bulldog
04-09-2003, 21:40
Just turned 44K on mine no problems period. I added juice a week and a half ago. I have it turned off, after being cautioned on this forum, until I get my gauges tomorrow. I did blow away a new 6.0 Ford the day after I got juiced, before I read the warnings about eg temps. :cool:

Nixter
04-09-2003, 22:50
dmaxallitech,
Congrats on the new addition, and my personal thanks to you and others here for some great information. smile.gif