PDA

View Full Version : VSP glow plugs

Jim P
09-15-2003, 07:37
Does anybody have any experience with VSP glow plugs? I bought some on Ebay that say they can offer faster heating and more reliable starting even in low temperatures. The number on them is PCH-77. Are these any good?

Jim P
09-16-2003, 18:06
Does anybody know what brand glow plugs Kennedy sells as Quick heats?

More Power
09-16-2003, 18:32
I tested every available glow plug in 1997 for a tech article that appeared that year. The only one I tested that had a "77" in it was a Champion CH-77.

The "77" failed miserably in the "test to destruction" tests I performed. Some blew the tips clean off.

Are the currently produced Champion CH-77 better? Have they been updated? I don't know.

Aside from evaluating apparent heat-up time, all of the plugs I tested were powered by a fresh 12V automotive battery till they burned out... or didn't.

Learning how (or if) they fail is at least as important as how well they glow, because of what damage a loose tip can do to pistons and valves.

If you want to test your Ebay find, power one for several minutes with a set of jumper cables. The AC-60G and Kennedy's plugs all pass that test without a problem.

MP

Jim P
09-17-2003, 14:22
Well I powered one of my VSP glow plugs (ebay specials) for 2 minutes with a pair of jumper cables. The tip started to glow after only 5 seconds but it never melted off or quit working. Does that mean they're good ones?

By the way, the guy that I bought these from claims that VSP makes glow plugs for Bosch. He said the only difference is the box.

More Power
09-17-2003, 15:04
I would think by now all of the aftermarket glow plug manufacturers that produce plugs for the 6.2/6.5 would be using PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficent) technology.

PTC means they heat up to a predetermined temperature (usually 1400 degrees F), then hold there. The original 6.2/6.5 plugs and all aftermarket varieties I tested would burn out after 15-20 seconds of juice from a set of jumper cables.

So, if your plugs don't burn out, they are likely the PTC variety, and should work fine. The unanswered questions would be how does the heat-up time and startability compare to those plugs we know more about. I suppose you can let us know what you discover....

MP

Jim P
09-17-2003, 16:52
Now for the next question.

Is it possible to replace the glow plugs that are under the turbo without taking the turbo and manifold off?

ucdavis
09-17-2003, 17:00
Yes, I just did that.
Take the heat shield off B4 proceeding to get at the spade connector more easily (I didn't & cracked a couple of insulator jackets on the connectors; they work fine, but that will weaken the design).
I believe it's a 3/8" deep socket (you can check on your newbies) & some extensions. The 5 not under the turbo are easy.

Bobbie Martin
09-17-2003, 17:32
The socket is a 3/8" deep well. Snap On make a special socket just for the GM glow plugs. It has a small band on the end that holds the glow plug in. It's kind of pricey, but it does help a little. Snap On PN S6105A, $20.65 from snapon.com It says it's a 12 point, but mine is a 6 point.

cruzer
09-18-2003, 08:53
JimP, Take the RT tire off and go thru the fenderwell to get to the front 3. Take the heat shield between turbo and valve cover to get to #8. The heat shield has 2 screws then slides up. IIRC 10mm socket.