PDA

View Full Version : California Duramax owners & 2004 Model

keywest
12-30-2002, 22:14
Hello All,

I have been hearing that in 2004 or even late 2003 GM production of the Duramax will include an EGR mechanism to comply with 2004 emissions etc.
It is said that California already has this EGR installed on the Duramax's sold there in 2001,2002,& 2003.
California guys - is this so??? and what if any differences or problems have you found there to be????
Other Rumers are:
Increased Hp & Torque in 2004,
Variable Vane Turbo,
Redesigned Heads to improve access to Injector service,
Catalytic Coverters. Whew!!!

Some say the EGR and the Variable Vane Turbo etc. is a good thing and others state that the EGR itself is a nightmare.....

Anyone with any info please say hi!
Thanks, Paul

mdadgar
12-30-2002, 22:30
California trucks have had EGR and cats since the 2002 model year.

No issues with mine whatsoever.

- Mark
'02 Sierra 2500HD CC SWB 4x4 D/A

dieselburb
12-30-2002, 22:32
I think both are the source of the tick!

Oongawah
12-30-2002, 23:46
Runs awesome, no tick. Just had to make sure the juice was for Cali. Chuck.

Kent Tuttle
12-30-2002, 23:51
No problems so far with the EGR and 24K on the clock. Tick has been gone since about the 12K mile mark.

keywest
12-31-2002, 16:08
Thank Guys,

I was all upset & worried!!!
I want to get an "04" 2500 D/A but I was getting scared to death of the changes I heard about. You guys have made me feel a lot better!!!!

Thanks for answering..Paul
Happy Holidays

TraceF
12-31-2002, 17:07
Mine is an '03 built in August. No cat.

EGR? How can I tell?

Good or bad if yes?

Tick, yes. Runs better with every mile, about 1500 so far. Still is a dog when you floor it at 50 or above. Doesn't want to downshift.

Oongawah
12-31-2002, 19:44
Hi TraceF,

The 'Juice' pulls hard at high speeds. I wish mine wouldn't downshift so easy. Massive torque felt when in high gear. Just noticed your truck is new. Personally I waited for my truck to have a few miles before I installed the goodies. Take care, Chuck.

odoh
01-02-2003, 10:38
TraceF ~ IF you have EGR, there will also be an ECCU module mounted on the valve cover adjacent to the dipstick. ~ odoh

TraceF
01-02-2003, 20:21
Thanks- Will check tomorrow.

TraceF
01-04-2003, 07:52
odoh-

I must have the EGR because there is a module on the passenger side valve cover.

Is this a good thing or bad? What's the effect of it?

Is this maybe why there are limited choices for programmers for the 2003?

OC_DMAX
01-04-2003, 10:28
TraceF,

The module that you see on the passenger side valve cover is the Fuel Injection Control Module (if you check this module, it is liquid cooled with diesel fuel lines running in/out of it --- just to make sure we are talking about the same module). Every DMAX has one.

If your truck has a catalytic converter (between the downpipe and muffler) then it also has an EGR system. Another way to check is to look at the option codes that your truck has been built with. Look on the inside of the glove box. There will be a sticker with a bunch of letter/number codes. Look for one of the two codes: YF5 or FE9. If you find code FE9, then your truck has the Federal emissions package and no EGR/Catalytic Converter. If you find code YF5, then your truck has a California emissions package and you have an EGR/Catalytic Converter system. The same codes should also appear on the window sticker that was on the truck when you purchased it new (assuming you kept the window sticker). Another item included with the EGR system is a vacuum pump. If don't have a vacuum pump, then you don't have an EGR system.

Since you don't live in California, your truck probably doesn't have the EGR/Cat system. Consider yourself fortunate. By 2004, the federal mandated emission standards for diesel vehicles changes. At that time, I would expect all DMAX's to have the of EGR/cat systems (to further control soot and NOx). Also, there is another tightening of diesel emissions standards in the year 2007.

Hope the above helps,
Alan

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: OC_DMAX ]

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: OC_DMAX ]</p>