PDA

View Full Version : Autotap users?

WillowCreekStable
04-09-2003, 12:27
Ignoring the saying

hjd3021
04-09-2003, 16:04
Do you have one of these systems? I do and posted a question a while back as to how many of those enhanced parameters actually show up. I'm only seeing around 60 - I'll have to do an exact count. Some that I thought would show up are not - I think it is working correctly as it automatically finds the VIN number and I see some items that are on the enhanced list. How many parameters are you showing?

WillowCreekStable
04-10-2003, 06:29
I haven't purchased one yet, I'd like to see how useful they are before I do. I'd like something to quantify performace mods to my truck. I've seen a few references to the Autotap and wondered how well they worked before I invest some 'play money' into one.

a64pilot
04-10-2003, 07:08
I've had one for about a year now. It is an excellent tool for diagnosing a fault, probably not nearly as good as a Tech II, but not nearly as expensive either.
As far as getting 1/4 mile times/horsepower readings etc. I don't believe it can and if it could I don't believe it could be very accurate as it could only use the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) as it's reference.
Now what it could see as far as a "manipulated" signal VA,Juice,TST etc. I don't know but I am betting that Willow is correct.
So, for finding and diagnosing a fault,reading and reseting DTC's etc. it is a good tool. For Quantifing Mods I think you would be better served With a G-tech or some other tool.

pinehill
04-10-2003, 08:07
Is it possible to check injector balance using Autotap?

a64pilot
04-10-2003, 10:39
I don't know about balance, but I am sure you can see all of the injectors pulse width, is this what is meant by balance?

hjd3021
04-10-2003, 12:58
a64pilot,

I note that you indicate that you see injector pulse width on yours. As I indicated in a previous post I have been trying to find out what parameters should be seen on the enhanced parameter list. I don't see the pulse width by injector yet it "appears" that I am seeing some enahnced paramters. It logs in and finds the VIN correctly. Have you ever saved a listing of all the parameters that you see? Thanks

a64pilot
04-10-2003, 13:51
Hjd3021,
I am at work now so I cannot look at the program and see. If you'll tell me how to "save" a list of parameters I will. Even if I recorded a file for playback and E-mailed it to you that would not have a list of available parameters.
IIRC, Mdrag and others were going through this about a year ago or so. I was invited to go to SWA, south west asia about that time so I don't know what the resolution was. Maybe if you do a search on autotap you can find the thread.
Bottom line, I'll help anyway I can. IIRC I bought the "enhanched" version.

WillowCreekStable
04-10-2003, 16:50
http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows_screenshots.html

The second screen shot suggests speed vs time data logging is possible, so 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times could be calculated if the data was dumped into a spreadsheet.

I found the thread from last year but I couldn't see where this aspect of the product was discussed. Perhaps those who were looking at it then could comment?

A G tech might be better for performance testing, but this looks like an opportunity to combine a performance testing tool and a scan tool.

hjd3021
04-11-2003, 09:39
a64pilot,

Thanks for the response. I'll try to look at this over the weekend and see how the listing can be saved and viewed. I know that I have a file setup that is reading all the parameters that I can see just as a line item identifier and value. I'll see if I can figure out how to retrieve it and send it so you could then compare it to what you are seeing. Thanks for the help

hjd3021
04-14-2003, 15:22
a64pilot,

Well I could not figure out how to get the parameters I'm seeing copied over so I ended up typing them into a Word document! Cut and paste did not work. Here's what parameters I'm seeing - I think a total of 56 if I count right. These are all that I can see.

Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Life Remaining
Engine Run Time
Fuel Temperature
Injector Pulse Width #1
Injector Pulse Width #2
Injector Pulse Width #3
Injector Pulse Width #4
Intake Air Temperature
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
Mass Air Flow Rate
Calculated Engine Load
2-3 Solenoid Circuit Status
Barometric Pressure
Calculated A/C Load
Crank Ref Missed (Diesel) TDC Offset
Desired Idle Speed
EGR Duty Cycle
Engine Speed
Fail Counter
Fuel Level
Fuel Level Sensor
Fuel Level Sensor Right Tank
Fuel System Status Bank 1
Fuel Tank Level remaining
Glow Plug Voltage
Ignition Voltage
Injection Pump CAM Ref Missed
Mileage Since Last Code Clear
Mileage Since Last Fail
Start Up Engine Coolant Temp
TDC Offset
TFP Sw
Throttle Position #2 or Applied Pedal Position
Throttle Position #3 or Applied Pedal Position
Throttle Position Sensor Normalized in Degrees
Throttle Position Sensor Normalized in Percent
Throttle Position Voltage
Turbo Boost Pressure
Vehicle Speed
Vehicle Theft Deterrent Timer
Warm up cycles without a non-emission fault
Warmup cycles without an emission fault
Auxiliary Input status
Comprehensive Component Monitoring Status
Fuel Pump Relay Circuit History Status
Fuel Pump Relay Circuit Status
Fuel Tank Rated capacity
Mileage Since First Fail
No Results Counter
ODB Requirements
Pass Counter
Starter Enable relay Circuit Status
Vehicle Theft Deterrent Auto Learn Counter
Vehicle Theft Deterrent Seed and Key timer

chuntag95
04-14-2003, 15:54
As far as injectors go, on my Predator, I can see both timing ~4-5mS and width +2 to -2 mm for all 8 injectors. I believe you can get all of the same parameters on the scan tool only version as well.
I have one injector (7) that is sometimes out at -3 mm, but not always. I find it interesting to plug in and see what's up when I have running very smoothly or rough. I have not found a 1 to 1 correlation between #7 and rough.

c5dura
04-14-2003, 20:04
You can use Autotap to get a general idea of 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. I find it to be slightly off compared to G-Tech, etc. It shows you're going a little slower than you actually are.

Here is an example of a 1/4 mile run using Autotap. Suck the data into Excel and you can easily create a 0 second starting point from the timestap.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/quarter1.htm

In this particular run, I ran 0-60 in a little under 5s and reached the quarter in around 13s or so @ 115 mph.

The number of variables you monitor directly affects the sampling rate. I wasn't really trying to meassure performance in this run, I was tuning fuel and spark curves for my LS1, but you get the idea of how to use Autotap logs to estimate performance.

WillowCreekStable
04-15-2003, 06:10
The sampling rate is a bit low for actual performance testing, but you could get some idea of delta increases for mods over stock. Thanks for the real world results.

a64pilot
04-15-2003, 06:33
HJD,
I will compare your list to what I get and see if there are any differences.

hjd3021
05-08-2003, 07:57
I have been having a dialog with the Autotap folks about the list of enhanced parameters that I'm seeing on my truck. It appears from this recent Email from Joe that these are all that will show on the Duramax because it is a diesel. Can anyone validate that the list I have posted in a previous Email is what you all are seeing as well. His implication is that the diesel apparently does not show as many parameters as a gas engine as it does not have the environmental restrictions?

"Finally had a chance to check out the database, and this is a good listing for a diesel. Diesel vehicles are not nearly as restricted as gasoline vehicles."