PDA

View Full Version : smokin LLY

drgracr
01-27-2005, 09:40
question for LLY owners..how much does your truck smoke in the cold under power..I feel mine is excessive to the point of fogging out cars behind me..and this is at operating temperature.
Smoke colour is a white/bluey gray in the headlights behind me.The reason this concerns me is my LB7 hardly smoked at all.
Want to hear from you folks before I take it in..
thanks

Kennedy
01-27-2005, 09:48
First I'd suggest having any ECM calibrations updated, then I'd sugest running a high quality Additive like FPPF Total Power. Shouldn't smoke at all when warm, but it can be hard to distinguish smoke from water vapor when it is cold outside...

drgracr
01-27-2005, 10:23
Mr. kennedy
I do run Howes diesel treat..also used it in my 02 truck.. the treatment you suggest, I haven't seen on this side of the border..
also at cruise speeds, looking out the mirror, can see exhaust out past the wide fenders

More Power
01-27-2005, 10:30
Judging smoke at night can be misleading. Even a light amount of smoke that wouldn't be noticeable during the day can appear much worse when lit by other vehicle headlights at night.

MP

DmaxMaverick
01-27-2005, 12:52
Just a little info for LLY (or other cat. converter equipped Diesels)....

If your Diesel has a cat, it may appear to smoke more than others. One function of the cat is to convert some exhaust gases to water. This is the main reason most mfgr's have installed stainless steel exhaust systems on vehicles lately. The converted water will mostly be water vapor, and appear as smoke under many situations, which is more evident in winter with colder ambient temps. It is even more exaggerated when seeing the exhaust in a follower's headlights. When the exhaust system is cold, like after starting a cold engine that has been sitting for a while, much of the water vapor gets condensed into liquid water. This is why we see water dripping from tailpipes. After the exhaust system gets warmed up, there will be almost no liquid water present in the system.

All internal combustion engines expell water vapor in varying volumes. The cat increases this 100 fold.

drgracr
01-30-2005, 12:52
I was actually thinking the convertor had something to do with..it only makes since..when you think about what is going on there..micro furnace.
too bad for the guy behind me, eliminates tailgaters :D