PDA

View Full Version : Brief high idle question

DmaxCC6spd
04-10-2003, 09:18
Is the whole concept of hook-up to provide 12V to connector c1-71? I read some of the posts on the topic and it seemed complicated. But if the end result is to simply feed 12V into that connector on the computer, it sure makes things seem simpler.

chuntag95
04-10-2003, 09:41
That is the boiled down version and the root of the procedure. The question will be after you get it done, do you have to get programed a the stealer or is yours already set up. Most folks are, mine wasn't. Remember, you must remove the 12V when you are driving or you will have low power and only be able to hit around 2000 rpm. The LED switch or brake pin feed are fancy ways of doing it. A simple open close switch will do it.

Minn-kota
04-17-2003, 21:24
I'm planning on wiring up the high idle on my 2003 this weekend if the dealer has the ECM pins. I have read through all the threads I could find on the site, but I am still wondering two things:

a.) After wiring, are the Set (1250RPM) and Resume (1700RPM?) speeds programmable if I took it to the dealer? I'd like to move those speeds down some.

b.) I also read with interest the variable speed concept. That would answer question a.) above. Is that something doable or not? What has to be done to make this happen?

Thanks again.

mdrag
04-17-2003, 22:21
DmaxCC6spd,

"Is the whole concept of hook-up to provide 12V to connector c1-71?"

Yes, that's it. Kennedy has detailed instructions for the high idle and ODLO install on his web site under the Tech Tips.

Minn-kota,

Yes, the RPM values can be changed with the Tech2. See this post for more details:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005637

Good luck.

mdrag
04-17-2003, 22:26
Minn-kota,

I was not able to get the variable speed option to work on my '01. I don't recall anyone posting that they have successfully done this yet...

mdrag

Minn-kota
04-18-2003, 07:49
Would anyone have a printable version of the high idle installation instructions? Printing off of Kennedy's site doesn't work so well with the frames but is the best description out there.

FirstDiesel
04-18-2003, 08:21
Minn-kota

Prints fine for me. Click the frame and the right click and chose print.

c5dura
04-18-2003, 08:39
Kota - I'm sure you will find that the dealer has the pins. BUT, they might not list them on the parts department computer. Talk to the service manager and he can take you back to all the boxes full of GM pins. When I went looking for my pins, we had to go through 6 boxes, each with perhaps 20 different sizes/shapes before we found the exact match (on GM part number).

Good luck!

Minn-kota
04-18-2003, 12:02
Well I stopped by the dealer over my lunch hour and surprisingly they had the ECM pins. NOT surprisingly though when asked if they could adjust the PTO idle speeds after I wire it in, they gave me the deer in the headlights look. :eek:

This dealer is about 15 yrs behind the technology of today. Most of the time I have to go in with a TSB or some other information in hand before they get the idea. They said that they'd have to call GM Techline to see if that's possible. Give me the Tech II and I'll do it myself in the parking lot for cripes sake. :mad:

So this weekend I'll hook it up and see if they can adjust the speeds by next week sometime....but I'm not holding my breath. How much does a Tech II cost anyway? lol

[ 04-18-2003: Message edited by: Minn-kota ]

[ 04-18-2003: Message edited by: Minn-kota ]</p>

Minn-kota
04-18-2003, 20:21
I just found a revision to the GM Upfitter guide on the high idle for 2003's.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/publicat/bull/bull63.pdf

It seems a bit different from previous discussions and installation directions and now I'm a little cautious about doing it the "old" way. Has anyone done this the "old" way on 2003's?

Thanks

dmaxalliTech
04-18-2003, 20:26
i paid 2400 for my scanner. LOL, you should offer a class on using the tech-2 to your dealer!!
:D

Minn-kota
04-18-2003, 20:45
dmaxAllitech-

I see you've added the high idle switch in your 2003 truck. Did you do it the way that's been discussed here in great detail many times (ECM C1-71)?

I've never used a Tech2, but someone should show them how to use it. I'm not the only one who's fed up with this dealer. They can change the oil and that's about it. Definitely fallen behind the times when it comes to technology.

DmaxCC6spd
04-18-2003, 21:28
Thanks to all, it works and wasn't too bad to install.

Special thanks to Mr. Kennedy for the instructions on his website.

mdrag
04-18-2003, 22:45
Minn-kota,

The GM Upfitter documents can be confusing....If you read Document #53 carefully, GM defines FAST IDLE and HIGH IDLE as TWO DIFFERENT FUNCTIONS:

Fast Idle provides an elevated engine speed control to ONE setting. It requires the use of a momentary type switch.

High Idle provides 2 or 3 speed settings (depends on model year). The instructions on Kennedy's site are for the HIGH IDLE function and have been shown to work properly on the 2001-2003 trucks.

Most of us use the terms high idle and fast idle interchangeably - remember this is GM's nomenclature and not mine.

Your link takes you to GM Upfitters Document #63, and describes adding the FAST IDLE (1 speed) to the 2002/2003 trucks using J1-31 and a momentary switch. Hence the difference in methods... :eek:

I haven't seen the manuals for 02 or 03, but the Helm manual for 2001 identifies the ECM connectors as C1 and C2 - there is no J1 listed. My guess is that J1 is a typo and it should be C1. On the 2001 trucks C1-31 is not used, and may have been added for 02/03 trucks.

Hope this helps.

mdrag

Minn-kota
04-19-2003, 19:21
Well this afternoon I hooked up my high idle and it works perfect. Had a little trouble figuring out how the ECM wire harness comes apart to add the new wire being more cautious than anything. I used the method of wiring the 12V source to the brake pedal signal to eliminate the need for a remote switch.

All that's left is to talk the dealer into reprogramming my idle speeds for me. I'd like them a bit lower.

Thanks for all the assistance and replies to my questions.

Now if anyone knows where the two wires that come from the light sensor on the dash go to on the BCM that would be my next project. I checked it out while I was under the dash and noticed it has changed quite a bit from my '02. :(

Thanks again!

roegs
04-19-2003, 20:34
Minn-kota...I'm planning to put the fast idle on my '03 as well. Would you mind telling where you went through the firewall, and which wire on the brake switch you used? Also, which dealer had the ECM pins?

Thanks!

fivenite
04-19-2003, 21:02
Now if anyone knows where the two wires that come from the light sensor on the dash go to on the BCM that would be my next project. I checked it out while I was under the dash and noticed it has changed quite a bit from my '02

Minn-kota
04-19-2003, 21:19
roegs -

I went through the firewall where the main wire loom enters the cab. Not the easiest, but the best I could find without drilling.

The brake sensor connector is downward facing about 12" above the brake pedal. Lay on the floor looking up and it'll be right there attached to the brake. There should be 6 wires in the connector and you want the Dark Green w/White Stripe. Pull some of the loom back a few inches to give yourself some wire to work with and tap into that wire.

I would assume any Chevrolet dealer should have the ECM pin. GM Part #12084913 or #12084912. The parts dept. didn't have them in packages, but went back to the service area and grabbed three for me.

Good Luck