PDA

View Full Version : Just received New Hypertech Test Programmer for Duramax

TFEnt
04-10-2003, 18:23
I wanted to inform everyone that I have received a test unit from Hypertech to evaluate both daily driving and 12000 lb towing driving. So far so good in the daily driving with the new programming. The new Hypertech Programmer III has three power levels and does adjust the computer for tire sizes from 24

dmaxalliTech
04-10-2003, 18:29
smokey, tell us more, how does the torque range feel? does in compare to juice? EGT temps? thirsting for knowledge

TFEnt
04-10-2003, 18:38
I had a test version of the juice on the truck last year and at the time had nothing but problems with it. Yes it was strong but I received a check engine light the second it was installed and had computer problems after towing several thousand miles with it in a couple of weeks. Not to mention it bellowed out huge puffs of BLACK smoke when you stepped on it. So far the Hypertech feels a lot stronger at stage 3 with little to no smoke at all. I can tell you that the truck behalves much better because of the programming ability of the tire sizes. The computer seems a lot happier knowing what the true rpm of the tires really is.

PS I have no EGT gauge installed at this point so I cannot report on those numbers.

[ 04-10-2003: Message edited by: SSmokybear ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
04-10-2003, 18:48
ssmokey, thanks for info. bottom line, would you spend your 307.00 to do it again?

TFEnt
04-10-2003, 18:55
YES!!

Hypertech is a long standing company that has been testing this programming for a very long time. Mark the president would not release this programmer until every issue know with the system has been review with a fine tooth comb. Again the fact that it has taken them several years to release this product shows that.

It is also backed up with a long standing reputable warranty. Many others can

Oongawah
04-10-2003, 19:51
Smokey,

be careful towing without gauges. Also, I had the same problem with my juice when I got it, only to find out it wasn't a cali model. It was upgraded the next day. Have fun Chuck.

Smittybilt
04-10-2003, 20:15
Hey, how's that thing work. Is it a plug in module like the Juice or do you simply reprogram your truck's computer. In other words is it something that's easy to hide from the stealer? Thanks for any enlightenment. Rey smile.gif

TFEnt
04-10-2003, 20:22
Plug it in re-program and unplug. Five minutes max!

All Done. That easy.

Roofer
04-10-2003, 20:42
I know it's too early but.....How does everyone feel about running the Hypertech without gauges? The main reason I am considering it is because I have one now for my past truck and it worked well, and also because it is not a huge increase in power. This giving me more peace of mind of not causing any engine trouble in the future. I tow maybe twice a year, so that is not an issue.

I'm not real interested in gauges because I don't want to install them and try to sell it in the future with them installed.

mtomac
04-10-2003, 21:53
I've had 285x75x16's on my truck for over 15000 miles. The truck doesn't act any differently with the 285's than it did with the stock 245's other than you are traveling a little faster than the speedo is showing. The computer in my truck must be happy with the bigger tires because it doesn't shift funny and I'm happier because the truck doesn't look like it has roller skate wheels on it anymore.

TFEnt
04-10-2003, 21:58
Put 12000 lbs behind it and go uphill. The computer will act funny.

Burner
04-10-2003, 22:23
Smokey,

How about some "real world times" with the Hypertech on level III. Either at the track or with a G-Tech. I think the G-Tech is fairly trusted by the TDP members. What about fuel enconomy, is there a change? What about top speed?

Burner--------&gt; :D

TFEnt
04-10-2003, 22:33
Just installed it last week and I will work on all those numbers over the next couple of weeks.

mtomac
04-10-2003, 23:07
I've grossed 22000+ several times and it shifts fine uphill, downhill and on flat land

Kennedy
04-11-2003, 07:03
The computer does not know/care what tire size you have. The transmission shifts are all based upon transmission output shaft speed which will remain in direct relation to engine RPM. The only difference is that you are losing mechanical advantage and simulating a heavier load with bigger tires...

As for Juice problems, I lost count of how many I have out there, but I do know that a HANDFUL have had their actual module swapped for a different one, and ONE has been returned unconditionally. The one that was returned was not an internet savvy fellow, and had he been more up to speed and/or had a loacl "coach" who was familiar with the unit, could well have been satisfied!

RWTD
04-11-2003, 09:11
To everyone, think about the investment in your truck, and how the performance tool you purchase for it will insure your warranty stays safe when visiting the dealer.

Sincerely...

[ 04-11-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

NFLDMAX
04-11-2003, 10:25
James,
When will the new "udated" predator be avaliable?

hoot
04-11-2003, 10:38
Gotta love free market competition :D

mtomac
04-11-2003, 10:40
any chance the predator will raise the engines rev limit in the future. From 3200 to 3500 or 3700?

DMAX_Phil
04-11-2003, 10:53
Maybe its just my hang-up but is it NOT appropriate for a vendor on this board to chime in on every discussion related to power boxes to push his wares? Information and setting the record straight would be helpful but I see the same "advertisement" on all the threads (some multiple times and some just "cut & pasted" from previous threads) related to this topic. I don't see other vendors (e.g., JK) doing this, except when asked specifics.

Not a big deal, just an observation. I think the product sounds good but the constant marketing push on this board (by the seller) turns me off.

Phil B.

Kennedy
04-11-2003, 10:57
Actually Phil has a good point, and I AM guilty of same. I just think that the Hyperech is over hyped, and the Predator is a better value. That said, I haven't sold a single unit yet, and am biding my time until it is RIGHT. FYI, neither will touch the Juice on performance to the ground yet...

RWTD
04-11-2003, 11:24
Thanks JK, I appreciate what you just stated, honestly. We are all guilty of crossing into posts that we may should not even be involved in. I'll remove the references of the the post concerning any product hype.

I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Very Sincerely...

Kennedy
04-11-2003, 11:31
James, I gotta wonder about you. Out in snow country, and the distractions of snow sports and snow bunnies can't keep you away from the computer???? :D

It's mid 60's here today and as soon as I get my shipping done, I'm going for a spring ride!

DURA-MAX3
04-14-2003, 21:58
Where did you get the hypertech for 307.00, there web-site said it was over 400.00. Just wondering if it came from someone else that is a dealer. Can't decide between the predator or the hypertech but will be one that can adjust tire size... Thanks in advance...

car of the week
04-17-2003, 15:58
FYI:

Performance International sells the Hypertech for $349.95 shipped. I just ordered one so we will see how it works. Don Stern is a great guy and I have ordered from him before with great success. the number is 800-522-1672. If you're nice the price could be better...

Regards,

Ryan

afp
04-17-2003, 16:05
Smokey,

I am interested in the Hypertech for two things: to recalibrate my speedo for larger tires and to remove the speed limiter. Since I have the Juice and have had zero problems with it I don't want cahnge any other factory ECM settings.

Will the Hypertech allow me to change the speedo and remove the speed limiter without affecting the other paramaters?

Blaine

TFEnt
04-17-2003, 17:31
It will allow the speedo adjustment but not the top end.