PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating Cat

Roy W
09-30-2005, 15:24
I have a stock exhaust system, but am contemplating eliminating the cat. Does anyone make a replacement pipe without the cat from the turbo to the muffler inlet, or do I just cut it out and weld in a new section. At this time I'm only interested in this one pipe, not a complete large bore exhaust system.

markrinker
10-02-2005, 05:13
Check with Banks Engineering. Don't know if its sold separately, but they have a downtube and CAT-section for the 2001 trucks.

http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AC08&sysid=SC13

Should fit other years - if you can get that piece without buying a whole system. Problem is this is 4" stuff so you would have to fabricate a transition to your factory tubes.

Might be easier to upgrade the whole thing. Kennedy has nice systems on his site.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

[ 10-02-2005, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

kylant
10-02-2005, 05:15
MBRP :cool:

markrinker
10-02-2005, 05:26
Ahhh, I see... www.mbrp.com (http://www.mbrp.com) ...

[ 10-02-2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Kennedy
10-03-2005, 05:01
We also have MBRP and Magnaflow. I won't bore you with the "yes man" talk aboout which system is better or priced better, but will suggest that you do a simple test and/or verify a RPO code. Unplug your EGR electrical connector and drive. See if you get any SES light. The RPO code you will be looking for (glove box sticker) is FE9.

Mark Craig
10-03-2005, 05:56
Roy W,

Be sure to save your old cat, they are expensive and you might need it to make a dealer happy down the road. As JK said see if you get a light, if not then you can add the delete pipe no problem. If you do get a light and still want to add the pipe you can get a "fingerstick" and EGR block off plate form the "other" GM site member named Fingers. The fingerstick fools the system into thinking the cat is still there. The MBRP pipe basically bolts right onto the stock system at the V band calmp and the 4 bolt flange, easy to do etc. Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

JD Diesel
10-03-2005, 07:30
I have found that you can order the head pipe from banks with the flange to replace the cat head pipe. told them I go to mexico for 4 months at a time and did not want kill my cat. they said no problem then gave me the it's only for off road use only spill. then said was about 175.00 not to bad than hang the stock pipe in the garage incase I ever need to get inspected then presstoechangeO legal again. JD :D

Jim Brzozowski
10-03-2005, 08:20
Do what you think you should about taking off the cat, but just a little info. In Houston over the last 4 years there have been portable units set up at the freeway intrances that measure your exhaust emissions as you accelerate onto the ramp. It has the capabilities to detect, record the data and take a picture of your license plate as you drive away if it fails the norm setting. Big Brother is telling them to clean up the air or loose highway funding. The good thing, they don't stay in one spot very long, the bad, you never know when they will show up. Just thought you ought to know , before you start messing with emissions equipment.

david
10-03-2005, 21:13
I got my pipe from Bill Heath,it is a 4" pipe and bolts right to the stock peace.
Later if you want you can add 4"muffler and tail pipe.
I think it was about $145!!
A good deal!!! :D :D
David

OHHH yes i see those sniffers all the time in Houston,just don't blow a lot of smoke when you go by. :D :D :D :D

Kennedy
10-05-2005, 04:45
One other thing. If you plan to stick with stock size pipe, then I'd suggest a 3.5" pipe from a non catalyzed LB7 rather than allowing the gasses to expand and then making them constrict and pass over the step...

Roy W
10-05-2005, 16:41
I'm not familiar with the LB7 engine. Are you suggesting that I order a pipe from a company like Walker or Maremont?? What years of LB7 engines did not have a cat? It certainly makes sense not to choke it down from 4" to 3.5".