PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Death - The Ongoing Saga - Chapter 2

Bill H
09-15-2003, 09:20
I'm still troubleshooting per the "Turbo Tips, No Start, Stall" checklist. My first post on the subject has fizzled so I'm posting Chapter 2.

LIFT PUMP TEST: The procedure says to test pressure in both engine crank and run modes. I turn the key far enough to hear the pump ticking and get 4 psi. I zero the gage, start the motor, open the drain valve and get 4 psi. Have I proved my lift pump is good? Is it normal to hear the lift pump ticking for a few seconds after I shut off the motor? Have I proved my OPS is good by doing the test as described above?

AIR IN THE INJECTION SYSTEM: The procedure says to replace the IP return hose with clear tubing. No bubbles seen while running and only somtimes I see only a 1/16" bubble after sitting overnight. Have I proved I don't have a significant air leak or should I also replace the front most injector return lines with clear to look for bubbles there as well?

FSD/IP WARRANTY: Can anyone find copies of the latest official word from GM on the warranty and the checklist the dealer uses, and post them on this web site somewhere? I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to all.

ucdavis
09-15-2003, 13:29
Bill, Sounds like lift pump is OK & air isn't the problem.

Bill H
09-15-2003, 17:07
I went to the local dealership, Woodard Chev in Fairfield Calif, today. Asked for the Warrenty info and checklist. Service Mgr said for $96/hr they'd print me out a copy. Anybody know a more agreeable "Stealership/Dealer****" in the area?

Bill H
09-17-2003, 16:58
One more thing I was hoping members could help me with... The dealership that printed out the warrentee doc for me said they had a vehicle in the shop a week or so ago with "Sudden Death Syndrome" and they had to replace the PCM, didn't touch the IP/PMD. This sounds fishy to me. Has anyone ever heard of a bad PCM causing "Sudden Death Syndrome" ???

Also I bought an OBD II code reader today. I get no codes. Could my PCM be good enough to make the truck start and run normally most times, but bad enough to be causing "Sudden Death Syndrome" and bad enough to not throw any codes when something is really wrong?

I'd appreciate any and all opinions.