PDA

View Full Version : 2001 2500HD D/A Questions

dmax515
05-11-2004, 05:40
Hey all, Been reading these forums for quite some time and recently purchased my first diesel largely based upon the information I've read in here.. Anyway, I purchased a 2001 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 D/A with 46,000 miles, a very clean truck and no complaints at all. We tow a 27' trailer and just got back from our first trip with the truck and averaged 12mpg over 260miles (better towing then my previous everyday driver empty, 99 Ram 2500 360). I already changed all filters (fuel, air, oil, allison spin on). The questions I have before I put any modifications on the truck are:

(1)Truck doesn't seem to have had any updates and did not have the airbox mod completed. I just followed recommendations here and performed my own as others have done and am very happy with the results. Should I have my dealer apply the latest updates to my truck if I don't have any symptoms or at least determine what code it is running on (where can I find what the latest is)? Anything I should look for on this year or look out for?

Any reason to get the updates before adding mods (exhaust, juice?)

Thanks in advance

More Power
05-12-2004, 07:29
Certainly, you should have the updates installed if you are experiencing any driveability issues, but I'd hesitate if you're not. The last updates were installed in my truck in January of 2002. I like how it performs now, and can't see a need to install any more recent updates - which are primarily designed to improve or eliminate a driveability issue.

Check the following forum thread for information on the latest ECM/TCM update information, and how to receive it.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003853

MP

OC_DMAX
05-12-2004, 15:59
Dmax515,

I recently had my '02 DMAX truck updated by the dealer. I wanted to be able to install the OD Lockout function and I was having a driveability issue at stop signs with the truck downshifting from 2nd to 1st abruptly. They updated both the ECM and TCM on the truck. Sure enough, the 2-1 downshift problem disappeared and the truck seems to hold 5th gear better while pulling a trailer. I have not wired up the OD Lock-out switch yet. I did not notice any negative impacts on truck performance from having the updates done. At the following link you will find a description for the updated TCM software (pages 6 & 8).

http://service.gm.com:8083/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/7_02_e.pdf

I know some of the early '01's had an issue when using the block heater in the winter and codes being set. I have never used the block heater in California, but in NJ you may have a need for it in the winter so that is something to think about.

Not sure if they will do this under warranty for you, but on my write-up, they billed GM 0.4 hours for the ECM and 0.5 hours for the TCM.