PDA

View Full Version : ? on LLY boost stick

chad03dmax
10-23-2005, 13:42
Maybe John K or anyone can help me out. I got the Boost stick installed this weekend and discovered a possible problem with it. I noticed that during the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts (auto trans) the turbo would bark (or something would cause a loud noise under the hood) one or two times at near or full throttle almost every time it would shift. What is this loud noice, is it bad and why does the boost stick cause this? This problem was never there with just the juice. Also, I'm not sure that I noticed any performance gain (loaded or unloaded) with the BS like people were talking about. FYI: this "turbo bark" noise would happen in level 1,2 and 3. Only mods to the truck is the juice, boost stick and 285's. Any help would be much appreciated.

Buck
10-23-2005, 15:25
What year is your truck? What version of the juice do you have?

chad03dmax
10-23-2005, 15:42
The truck is a 2004.5 with juice version 1.2. Also, I did not dare try juice in level 4 or 5 to see what would happen.

Kennedy
10-24-2005, 09:06
Try slipping the electrical plug off of the EGR valve (for test purposes only ;) ) and see what happens.

Buck
10-24-2005, 09:08
I haven't noticed any issues like you describe. Unplug the juice and test to see if you still have the problem. If you still have the problems with the juice unpluged then I would be looking for a loose intercooler connection or (pre intake plumbing) If that still isn't it take it to the dealer for ECM updates, be sure to remove the Boost Stick. Hopefully, you got the extension harness!

I noticed with the Boost Stick the boost runs about 3.5-4.5 psi @ 60 mph on a flat road. Before it would only run 1-2 PSI. I dunno about the Juice since mine in enroute to Edge for the 1.2 version update(per Kennedy's recommendation)

threeman
10-25-2005, 11:16
Hey Chad did you pull the EGR sensor? If so what did it do. My truck is doing the same thing I think.

chad03dmax
10-25-2005, 17:25
No not yet, but I plan on it tomorrow. I assume it will be easy to find. Reading on some of the other diesel boards, It seems that simply blocking off the EGR will solve the problem (but I don't know for sure yet).

threeman
10-27-2005, 05:42
Hey Chad the EGR stopped the spitting sound but the hesitation still seems to be there. What about yours?

Kennedy
10-27-2005, 08:41
Originally posted by chad03dmax:
No not yet, but I plan on it tomorrow. I assume it will be easy to find. Reading on some of the other diesel boards, It seems that simply blocking off the EGR will solve the problem (but I don't know for sure yet). Unplugging the EGR valve is the simplest and most easily reversible way to do it. Adding a blocker is more involved and more difficult to reverse, especially when hot. You also need to be sure that it seals tightly and does not leak.

A hesitation is likely a turbo lag. The boost stick reduces this lag, but cannot eliminate it.

markrinker
10-27-2005, 17:01
What would the affect of unhooking the EGR be on a totally stock '05 LLY? Where is it located?

I enjoy unhooking and disabling anything that robs power for the sake of lowering emissions.

"Save the planet??? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves yet!!! We haven't learned how to care for one another - we're gonna save the f@#king planet???" - George Carlin

http://www.chaparyan.com/2005/04/george-carlins-planet-is-fine.php

threeman
10-28-2005, 07:09
Like Mark Rinker what is going to be the downside from unplugging the EGR?

Also if the boost stick was not there you would experience more turbo lag?

My EGT's are running pretty good while empty but I can make it hit 1350 without a load on level 2 if I hold the throttle while going uphill. Have you found this to be normal?

Kennedy
10-28-2005, 08:22
The EGR is in the intake manifold where the aluminum meets cast iron just below the intake accordian joint.

Disabling the EGR has different effects on different vehicles, but the primary result is less soot and junk gets recycled.

rickdlance
10-28-2005, 09:23
Be sure to unplug it when the truck is cold. Fixed mine!! You will Love it!!

01max
10-28-2005, 17:22
Just curios but when you unplug the egr are you talking about the electical conn. if so does the check engine light come on?

Kennedy
10-28-2005, 19:13
The vehicle response will vary with emission group. Typically CA and NE emissions will set SES and reduce power. Federal emissions will typically not set SES or take action, just set a couple of codes in history.

JD Diesel
10-28-2005, 20:22
So you saying us calif dude's are screwed if unplug egr? JD :eek:

Kennedy
10-29-2005, 04:48
Actually no. It's not as simple on the CA trucks, but it can be done. What is needed is a blocker plate to prevent flow, and Fingers' EGR stick which shows the ECM what it wants to see when the EGR is activated. The valve still works, it's just that there is no flow of recycled exhaust and the ECM is happy.

JD Diesel
10-29-2005, 11:26
OK where can I get this plate and finger stick? Or can I get them thru you John? Thanks in advance JD :confused:

oyazi
10-29-2005, 17:42
I've been seeing the block plate on ebay ~ runs aroudn 20.

Kennedy
10-29-2005, 19:14
Originally posted by JD Diesel:
OK where can I get this plate and finger stick? Or can I get them thru you John? Thanks in advance JD :confused: Drop me a line and I'll put you in touch with the man on the Fingers stick.