PDA

View Full Version : My '06 is LLY should I return for LBZ?

Voit
10-26-2005, 03:43
Well my new '06 turns out to be LLY and I'm thinking of returning it for the LBZ that I was expecting. All the literiture I have from the dealer says 360hp for '06 so I think I've been shorted 50hp. I ultimatly want to tow a 3 car trailer and feel the additional hp & torque would be an advantage. I thought I would get opinions on the new engine before doing anything. The LLY is a proven system but the LBZ seems to have lots going for it on paper. What do you think

markrinker
10-26-2005, 03:50
If you bought the truck under the impression that it was equipped with a 360hp LBZ - then you should address this with the sales manager at the dealership - immediately.

It should have been explained to you clearly that your truck was equipped with the LLY.

However, your LLY is no slouch, and you can easily get that 60hp back with various modifications that suit your needs. Remember, both engines displace 6.6 liters. smile.gif

mark45678
10-27-2005, 13:14
I have heard the lbz is going to be 2000 dollars more ,so put a cat back and juice on it when they have the program all set and you will be way ahead of the pack! :eek:

JohnC
10-28-2005, 10:15
Check the fine print in the literature. The "HO" engine was not to be available until "3rd quarter" (read "after employee pricing ends")...

As my wife said "650 instead of 610? So, what's your point?" :rolleyes:

B. Lane
10-28-2005, 12:35
Brand new diesel owner myself. LLY 05'. Check The***********.com website about overheating issues on the LLY. You'll probably change your mind on the LLY. I havent had any problems with mine. I have only towed a 5000lb travel trailer. I'm getting 18.3 MPG on hwy cruise set @70. Manually checked. Good Luck. I love my DMAX.

Albee
11-02-2005, 03:56
I have the 06 LLY pulling a 17K 5th wheel. I have not had any issues with overheating at all. I pull over three mountain passes to hunting camp. Truck handles load very well. I had a 02 DMax 2500 and this LLY 3500 Dooley does pull better than the old LB7. Very happy with my new LLY. I personally would like the LBZ to be out for a while to see if any bugs are inside. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Kennedy
11-02-2005, 06:29
The only difference is the programming. Chances are, the aftermarket programs will take care of this anyhow by rewriting both series to the same level...

Jim Brzozowski
11-02-2005, 09:14
John, have you had an LBZ on your lie detector?

Voit
11-03-2005, 05:42
Thanks everyone for the replies & encouragement. Also, John when you say everything is the same does that include the internal changes like the stronger con rods & beefed up block? I did contact (via email) GM customer support to complain about there advertising practices and the salesman omitting to mention the deviation from what their brochures state. They contacted me by phone immediatly and were understanding but said I signed a sales contract between myself and the dealer that is binding and that any changes would have to happen at that level. When I saw the 6 speed & the external engine changes I had assumed it was the new engine as advertised. And never looked at that part of the window sticker. I will next time! Still I am very happy with the truck and my beef is purely on the level of percieved expectation on my part as to having the newest technology as advertised and not being informed otherwise. Thanks again

Kennedy
11-04-2005, 07:09
A reliable source says they are same. Even if not, how many Dmax engines have died due to failures in the area related to the upgrades? Many are running WAY more power than you'll likely ever throw at it. The aftermarket will be able to get you more than enough power to hurt the transmission with either I am sure.

I haven't had the LBZ on the dyno yet nor the 06 LLY. I'd like to have one, but I cannot justify having 3 trucks. I really like my 2005, but need to sell it first...