PDA

View Full Version : My Wife's '03 6.0 Excursion

tnlegendracer
01-31-2005, 20:13
Okay, I'm convinced my 2003 6.6 Duramax 4x4 will never get the mileage my wife's Excursion gets. Having said that, what do I have to do to get my 6.6 to accelerate like her 6.0? Both are stock.

Buck
01-31-2005, 23:56
Depends how fast you want it to go $$$. An AFE intake kit and Kennedy's exhaust for starters. I had them on my LB7 and it made the turbo spool very quickly. They should provide better MPGs also. If you want more power a Diablo predator is fairly inexpensive and has many functions, edge juice is also a good box.

tnlegendracer
02-01-2005, 06:10
Granted, I only have 30K miles of the 100K warranty left, but which of the mods you mention would void my warranty?

All the talk about chips and boxes is kinda intimidating to me, as I don't race it and it just has to pull a 5K pound enclosed trailer on occasion. It's my daily driver on a 80 mile daily commute. Being an ex-2-stroke racer, I've seen what high EGTs do. Plus, don't know if I could practice the self-restraint to keep it off the max setting every now and then.

I just would like for it to be as good as that 9,000 pound Excursion.

Nix
02-01-2005, 07:31
Just out of curiosity, anyone know the 0-60 times on D/A 2500 HD vs FSD 6.0 PSD? My truck is basically stock, except for a K&N kit and a straight pipe. I have never had a 7.3 PSD in stock form (stock as far as I could tell) be able to keep up with me. I have not had the opportunity to challenge a 6.0, and I am wondering if I'll get my butt handed to me. One of the mechanics at the local dealership says the Duramax is the fastest stock diesel. Anyone have any numbers to verify/disprove this claim? Just checking.... :D

ADub
02-01-2005, 09:45
I remember an article in Truck trend where they took an 03 4x4 Ext Cab SB 6.0 PSD F350 vs an 03 GMC Crew Cab SB 4x4 2500 Dmax. I want to say the DMax ran 16.4 in the qtr and the PSD ran 15.9

tnlegendracer
02-01-2005, 11:14
If I were to race my wife in her 6.0 Ex and me in my 6.6 DM, I'd get my butt handed to me for sure. Come to think of it, that happens a lot without even involving the trucks...

Seriously, in driving both, the 6.6 is no match for the 6.0 (both being stock) and I hate to think what it would be like without the Excursion's weight disadvantage.

madmatt
02-01-2005, 18:36
what gears do you have in each? also the lighter weight of the 6.0L pistons and rods contribute to the better acceleration due to less recipocating mass, but i belive also contribute to the rod and crank failures that are plauging them. when hooked to a trailer (or bumper to bumper for that matter) the duramax will walk away from the 6.0L FSD in my experience.

tnlegendracer
02-01-2005, 19:28
3.7 something in the Duramax. Not sure about the Excursion. It's a two-wheel drive.

madmatt
02-01-2005, 19:34
what milage do you get w/ each?

tnlegendracer
02-01-2005, 20:00
Duramax will average a calculated 17.1 over a tank. Powerstroke is average a calculated 19 over the same route.

madmatt
02-01-2005, 20:11
Huh?????????19s pretty good w/ that big azz rig. My aunts 7.3 psd excursion only got like 14 but it was 4x4.

Nix
02-01-2005, 20:14
Putting a cab high fiberglass cap on my truck significantly improved mileage. W/O cap 16.5-17 hwy, w/cap 19-21 hwy. got as high as 25.5 traveling through Utah, Nevada, California on I-80 w cruise set at 60 for 5-6 hours avg between quick relief stops :eek: . I should specify that this Pre FPR replacement mileage. I have never seen the same mileage since the FPR was replaced.

Buck
02-01-2005, 23:57
tnlegendracer, Sounds to me like exhaust(which will not void your warranty) it the way to go for you. It will help, believe me. You could go with a free flowing air filter like UNI which will fit in the stock air box(will not void warranty). Kennedy will help out. www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)

richk
02-02-2005, 05:59
I didn't know performance/gas mileage comparisons of 4x4 would ever compare to 2-wheel drive?

tnlegendracer
02-02-2005, 06:08
So, the consensus seems to be leaning towards an exhaust system and a filter. Think this will bring the 6.6 DM up to the 6.0 PSD?

To address MadMatt's point, I watch TSD's board too. Apparently, the diesel Excursions nearly always get 2-3 mpg more than the trucks (you can look at others experience there). They seem to attribute it to programming differences. Not sure if I believe that, but the thing weighs a ton.

I'm just tired of being aggravated by the stock Duramax everytime I drive my wife's Excursion (it would be different if the DM outperformed the PSD while getting not-as-good mileage). But, to lose in both?

Don't get me wrong. I love my truck. It's just disappointing.

tnlegendracer
02-02-2005, 06:10
Oops, that TDS (thedieselstop). Can't type!

Heartbeat Hauler
02-02-2005, 10:13
Originally posted by tnlegendracer:
So, the consensus seems to be leaning towards an exhaust system and a filter. Think this will bring the 6.6 DM up to the 6.0 PSD?

I don't think that an air filter and exhaust system is gonna even things up, especially if what you say about this oh so powerful 6.0 is true. I'm findin' it hard to believe that the 6.0 in that behemoth can actually outrun your truck. Anyways, the stock air filter will probably do ya just fine, although I would modify the box some (do a search on "Swiss Cheesing") and the larger exhaust system will help with EGT's, but the only real oomph is gonna come from a tuner...in my humble opinion of course. :D
JP

mdrag
02-02-2005, 10:32
Originally posted by tnlegendracer:
Does anyone know where an owner's manual for a 2003 3500 6.6 can be downloaded? My new (at least to me) crew cab has the rear entertainment center with wireless headphones and my wife and daughter are getting tired listening to the Nascar channel on XM. Info on your truck from this topic and A PREVIOUS POST (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008184), it seem's that you have a 3500 DRW 4WD CC?? If so, your 4X2 diesel Excursion might weigh less than a Dmax/Allison equipped truck....

I agree with Heartbeat. If the 6.0L is so strong of a performer in stock config...and Ford offers it their pickup... :D